Homes for the holiday: Christmas house tours abound
Neighborhoods throughout the region are conducting tours of old and new homes decorated for the holidays in a range of styles to suit every taste.
• The Freeport Christmas House Tour will be hosted by the Freeport Renaissance Association from 5 to 8 p.m. Dec. 5 and 6 and noon to 4 p.m. Dec. 7. The tour will visit three homes; shuttle service is available. Tickets are $10. Details: 724-295-2041 or freeportcommunity.com
• The Norwin Historical Society Homes for the Holiday Tour is a self-guided driving and shuttle-bus tour of eight homes throughout North Huntingdon. Highlights include the 1790s Larimer Mansion and a Sears kit-built home. The tour runs from 3 to 8 p.m. Dec. 6. Tickets must be purchased in advance from Norwin Chamber of Commerce or Norwin Library; price is $18. It includes refreshments and Christmas display at the Norwin Community Resource Center. Details: 724-863-0888 or norwinhistoricalsociety.org
• The Scottdale Historical Society Christmas House Tour will be from 2 to 6 p.m. Dec. 6 and include six houses. Tours will begin at the society’s headquarters in the 1835 Loucks Homestead on North Chestnut Street. Tickets are $15, two for $25. Details: 724-619-1874 or scottdalehistoricalsociety.com
• The West Newton Woman’s Club Christmas House Tour will be from 5 to 9 p.m. Dec. 6. The tour will include six homes, two of which are reached via a hayride along the Yough River Trail. A bonfire, Santa and live nativity will be featured. Tickets are $15. Details: 724-872-4175
• The Zelienople Historical Society Christmas House Tour is a self-guided driving tour of nine homes. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 6. Ticket price includes a catered luncheon and quilt raffle at St. Paul Lutheran Church. Tickets are $22 in advance from Passavant House, 243 S. Main St. Details: 724-452-9457 or zelienoplehistoricalsociety.com
• The Academy Hill Historic District Holiday Tour of Homes will feature guided walking tours of five homes in the historic Greensburg neighborhood. An optional tea service at the Victorian Lady tea house is available. Tours will be from 10:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 7. Tours will begin and end at the YWCA on North Main Street, where refreshments, entertainment, a bake sale, holiday greens sale and basket raffle will be offered. Reservations required; tickets are $25 for regular tour, $50 for tour plus tea service. Details: 724-837-6274 or ahhd.org
• The Old Allegheny Victorian Christmas House Tour will include six 19th-century homes in the Allegheny West neighborhood on the North Side. Refreshments and a holiday shop will be available at Calvary United Methodist Church. Tour hours are from 5 to 8 p.m. Dec. 12 and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Dec. 13. Tickets are $30. The last home on the tour contains the largest private collection of toy trains in the country; access to the display requires a separate $12 ticket. Details: 412-418-2027 or alleghenywest.org
• The Crescent Hills Holiday House Tour in Penn Hills will be a driving and walking tour of eight homes with a refreshment and shopping stop at the last home. Hours will be from 1 to 5 p.m. Dec. 14. Tickets are $12 before Dec. 7, $15 thereafter. Details: 412-798-4471 or ch-ca.org
Cynthia Bombach Helzel is a contributing writer for Trib Total Media.