Activities for older adults plentiful in Carnegie area
Local organizations offer senior citizens fellowship and diverse activities, particularly during the long and cold winter months. These are some of the events planned in the near future.
• LifeSpan Chartiers Center, 300 Lincoln Ave., Carnegie, is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays with lunch served daily at 11:30 a.m. (reservations required the day before). All are welcome to join in activities such as cards, crochet, bingo, book club, art, fitness, German class, healthy cooking, movies and more. For details, call 412-276-5056.
• The Golden Agers with St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church in Carnegie plan luncheons, trips, socials and more for all adults, regardless of membership in the group. On Nov. 30 they will visit the Steubenville Nutcracker Village. They also have been collecting tabs off cans for the Susquehanna Service Dogs for Wounded Soldiers Program. Call 412-279-0885 for information. Seton Parish also sponsors a Widows and Widowers group, which meets periodically at various restaurants to eat and talk. Call 412-279-5872 for details.
• The Daytrippers from St. Andrew Lutheran Church, Carnegie, meet at 11 a.m. on the second Thursday of the month for socializing, luncheons, trips and more. Call 412-848-3398 for further information.
• The Jewish Community Center of the South Hills, 345 Kane Blvd., Scott, offers Silver Sneakers and Arthritis Foundation exercise programs, educational classes, fellowship and more, along with the occasional group travel for seniors. Call 412-466-4773 for a complete calendar.
• SS. Simon & Jude Parish, Scott, sponsors the Super Senior Society. The annual Christmas lunch is planned for Scoglio’s in Foster Plaza, Green Tree, on Dec. 5. Call 412-831-3681 for other planned activities.
• The Hilltoppers meet in Covenant-Community Church, 1630 Greentree Road, Scott. A monthly brown bag lunch at noon on the second Wednesday is held with desserts provided and beverages available. A brief business meeting is usually followed by entertainment, a program, bingo, etc. Visitors are welcome. For details, call 412-831-1913.
• The Green Tree Seniors was organized in 1980 for adults 55 and older. Members meet at 11:30 a.m. on the first Wednesday of the month in the Carlisle Social Hall of the Green Tree Fire Station, 825 Poplar St., for socializing, a catered lunch, speakers and/or entertainment. Call 412-414-8429 for lunch reservations.
• The High Nooners Senior Ministry at Unity Presbyterian Church, Green Tree, invites all seniors 55 and older to gather at noon on the last Wednesday of each month for a brown bag lunch and a special program. Beverages and dessert are provided. Occasional special group trips are sponsored. The annual Christmas luncheon will be held at noon Dec. 12 at the Grand Concourse restaurant, Station Square, Pittsburgh. Call 412-561-2431. Unity also is the site for the monthly meeting of Dormont AARP No. 3015, which last week sponsored its annual pancake breakfast at the church.
• In Bridgeville, the Bethany Presbyterian Golden Oldies gather at noon on the third Thursday of each month in the church’s hall for a meal, conversation and fellowship. Occasional group trips are sponsored, such as the upcoming Dec. 6 trip to Sharon for shopping and dinner at Shakespeare’s Castle and Shadrack’s Christmas light show at the Butler fairgrounds. The cost is $80 for members and $85 for guests.
• The South Fayette Senior Citizens Association Inc. provides social and recreational opportunities for people 55 and older at the Senior Center, 515 Millers Run Road, South Fayette. Luncheon meetings are on the third Monday of the month. Weekly activities include euchre, 500 bid, mahjong, or bingo. For details, call 412-221-8700.
• Other occasional events for seniors may be found at local libraries, the malls or other area churches. Seniors should also remember to take advantage of special senior savings rates at local stores or restaurants such as Denny’s.
Charlotte Smith is a Tribune-Review contributing writer. You can reach Charlotte at 724-693-9441 or [email protected]