Archive

ShareThis Page
Brackenridge seeks Allegheny County grant to raze century-old house | TribLIVE.com
Valley News Dispatch

Brackenridge seeks Allegheny County grant to raze century-old house

vndbrackhouse3022718
Chuck Biedka | Tribune-Review
Part of the foundation under 948 Ninth Ave. has fallen away, according to Brackenridge officials and neighbors. The house is shown as it appeared Feb. 26, 2018.
vndbrackhouse4022718
Chuck Biedka | Tribune-Review
Warning sign at 948 Ninth Ave. house in Brackenridge.

Brackenridge officials are applying for a $20,000 Allegheny County emergency grant to tear down a Ninth Avenue apartment house with a foundation that has collapsed twice.

Gaping holes — large enough for someone to crawl into the basement — were visible last week on either side of the house at 948 Ninth Ave.

Last week the mayor and council unanimously approved the grant application.

They also approved an emergency demolition by declaring the house a danger to residents’ health and safety.

According to Allegheny County online records, the 100-year-old, two-story house was bought by Christopher William Wall-Fuget, 19, of Point Breeze, Pittsburgh in February 2017.

Attempts to reach him Friday were unsuccessful.

Council President Thomas Connelly said Wall-Fuget was given seven days to tell officials how he will rebuild or tear down the house.

“He hasn’t responded,” Connelly said.

A Brackenridge Borough office worker said the application was handed to Tom Bernecki, executive director of the Allegheny Valley Council of Governments, early Friday when he visited the borough offices.

The emergency demolition application will be reviewed by Allegheny County community development officials.

Bernecki didn’t return calls later in the day.

Brackenridge Councilman John Stanizone said the borough will have to pay about $800 to have the property inspected for the presence of asbestos.

If the house has asbestos, then a special abatement company would also have to be used.

The foundation collapse — the second in two years — forced the family next door to leave their house.

Lynette Deyo asked borough officials during Thursday’s council meeting why they can’t tear the house down before the grant decision is made.

“We can’t do that without the county because there are certain steps that we have to take,” Council President Thomas Connelly replied.

The mayor and council said they are sympathetic and encouraged Deyo to consult with an attorney.

“I pay my taxes, and we’re the ones who have been put out,” Deyo said.

Chuck Biedka is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at 724-226-4711, [email protected] or via Twitter @ChuckBiedka.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.