Greensburg Victorian-era tea parlor catches fire during pressure washing
A fire at a Greensburg tea parlor Wednesday was sparked when the proprietor was pressure washing the outside of the Victorian-era home, according to fire officials.
Greensburg Fire public information officer Chris Tantlinger said that heat from the pressure washer transferred to the inside of a second-floor wall at The Victorian Lady of Academy Hill just before 1 p.m. Firefighters responded to an automatic fire alarm at the converted two-story home on North Main Street and discovered flames between an interior and exterior wall, Tantlinger said.
It was lucky that the heat set off the automatic alarm, “or it would have went unnoticed,” he said.
North Main Street was closed for a brief period. No one was injured.
Greensburg firefighters were assisted by 12 other stations.
The building was purchased in 2003 by husband and wife team Carol and Jeff Kornides, who converted it into a tea-style parlor and gift shop, according its website. The Queen Anne-style home was built in 1884 by a local attorney as a wedding present to his daughter and her husband, according to the site.
The interior sustained smoke and water damage during Wednesday’s incident.
Renatta Signorini and Patrick Varine are Tribune-Review staff writers. Reach Signorini at 724-837-5374, [email protected] or via Twitter @byrenatta.