• Spring gala: Havana Nights fundraiser, hosted by Westmoreland County Blind Association, is planned 6 p.m. March 1 in Greensburg Country Club, 309 Pleasant Valley Road. Cost: $50, includes Cuban dinner buffet, rum bar along with a cigar lounge, entertainment provided by disc jockey. Details: 724-837-1250.
• Night at the races is planned with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 23 in Grandview Volunteer Fire Department, 1655 Ridge Road, Jeannette. Cost: $5 or $10 to purchase a horse both includes food and beverage. Details: 724-523-8251.
• An open discussion is planned 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Socrates Café in Delmont Public Library, 77 Greensburg St.
• “The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951),” watch and discuss a sci-fi cult classic, 6 p.m. Tuesday in Mt. Pleasant Public Library, 120 S. Church St. Details: 724-547-3850.
• Westmoreland Assists Native Talent (WANT) Job & Career Expo, 1-4 p.m. Feb. 20, Ramada by Wyndham Greensburg Hotel and Conference Cente, 100 Ramada Inn Drive, Hempfield. Register at wantexpo.org. Details: 724-805-2254 or [email protected]
• Westmoreland Woodlands Improvement Association will host a talk “How to Fight Ticks and Mosquitoes and the Diseases They Carry,” 6:30 p.m. Feb. 21, J. Roy Houston Conservation Center, 218 Donohoe Road, Hempfield. Cost: $5, free to WWIA members and students with a current student ID. Register by Monday at 724-837-5271.
• Greensburg Business and Professional Women’s Club is accepting applications for the 2019 Scholarship Awards for Westmoreland County residents attending a college, university or technical school. Deadline: April 1. Scholarships will be presented May 8. All local high schools, colleges and universities have applications. Details: 724-837-2774.
• Internationally renowned soprano Shana Mashego will present a concert featuring spirituals, hymns and art songs at 7:30 p.m. Friday for the Joan Chambers Concert Series in the Mary Lou Campana Chapel and Lecture Center, University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 150 Finoli Drive, Hempfield.
• Roast beef dinner is planned 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday in Church of God, 4017 First Ave., Youngstown. Cost: $8, $5 for ages 4-12. Takeouts: 724-537-8076.
• Orders are being taken through Monday for soups to be picked up Feb. 23 at St. Paul United Methodist Church, 101 N. Fourth St., Youngwood. Choice of soups: vegetable beef, chicken noodle and bean with ham. Cost: $5 quart. Orders: 724-837-1647.
Submissions from nonprofit or not-for-profit organizations for Briefly Speaking and Club News can be emailed to [email protected], faxed to 724-838-5171 or mailed to 622 Cabin Hill Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601-1657. Submissions are due at least two weeks prior to the event. Each announcement is printed once; there is no fee. Information: 724-836-4970.
Shirley Taft is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Shirley at 724-836-4970 or [email protected]