American soldier freed by Taliban in swap for Guantanamo detainees |

American soldier freed by Taliban in swap for Guantanamo detainees

The Associated Press
AFP/Getty Images
The Taliban would periodically release videos as proof that their American captive, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, was alive. This video was released in 2010.
U.S. President Barack Obama (C) stands with Bob Bergdahl (R) and Jami Bergdahl as he delivers a statement about the release of their son, prisoner of war U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington May 31, 2014. Bergdahl, the last U.S. prisoner of war from America's waning Afgan war, was handed over to U.S. Special Operations forces in Afghanistan on Saturday in a dramatic swap for five Taliban detainees who will be handed over from Guantanamo Bay prison to Qatar. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst (UNITED STATES - Tags: MILITARY POLITICS)
Army Sgt. Bowe Berghdal, who had been held for nearly five years by Afghan militants, was handed over to Special Operations Forces in Afghanistan on Saturday May 31, 2014, in exchange for five Taliban detainees who were being held at Guantanamo Bay.

The only American prisoner of war has been freed by the Taliban in exchange for the release of five detainees from Guantanamo, Obama administration officials announced on Saturday.

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was handed over to special operations forces by the Taliban that evening, local time, in an area of eastern Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border. Officials said the exchange was not violent and that the 28-year-old was in good condition and able to walk.

“While Bowe was gone, he was never forgotten,” President Obama said in the White House Rose Garden, where he was joined by Bergdahl’s parents. “The United States of America does not ever leave our men and women in uniform behind.”

Bergdahl’s handover was made possible by indirect negotiations between the United States and the Taliban, with the government of Qatar serving as the go-between. Qatar is taking custody of the five Afghan detainees.

Several dozen U.S. commandos, backed by helicopters and surveillance aircraft, flew into Afghanistan by helicopter and made the transfer with the approximately 18 Taliban members. Officials said the special ops team was on the ground for a short time before lifting off with Bergdahl.

According to a senior Defense official, once Bergdahl climbed onto the noisy helicopter, he took a pen and wrote on a paper plate: “SF?” — asking the troops if they were special forces.

“Yes!” they shouted back over the rotors’ roar. “We’ve been looking for you for a long time.”

Then, according to the official, Bergdahl wept. He had been held captive for nearly five years.

How Bergdahl fell into the hands of the Taliban remains something of a mystery. He disappeared on June 30, 2009, after leaving his base in Paktika province in eastern Afghanistan.

Within days, a Taliban commander crowed that his group had captured a drunken American soldier outside his base.

Two weeks later, they released a video in which Bergdahl said he had been captured when he fell behind on a routine foot patrol.

Soldiers from his base, however, told reporters that he had wandered into the scrub-covered mountains on his own with his journal and a supply of water, leaving his weapons and body armor behind.

In 2012, Rolling Stone magazine quoted emails Bergdahl is said to have sent to his parents that suggest he was disillusioned with America’s mission in Afghanistan. He told his parents that he was “ashamed to even be American.”

Bergdahl is believed to have been held by the Haqqani network, a Taliban ally that operates in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border region and has been one of the deadliest threats to American troops in the war.

Officials said he was first transferred to Bagram Air Field, the main U.S. base in Afghanistan, for medical evaluation, and then in the evening was en route to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany.

Bergdahl is tentatively scheduled to go to the San Antonio Military Medical Center, where he would be reunited with his family.

His parents, Bob and Jani Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho, have worked tirelessly for their son’s release and had been in Washington on a scheduled visit when they received a morning call from Obama informing them of the good news.

As they stood with the president in the Rose Garden hours later, Bob Bergdahl said his son was having trouble speaking English. So Bergdahl, who had learned Pashto, the language of his son’s captors, delivered him a message in that language: “I’m your father, Bowe.”

Switching back to English, he thanked the American government for recovering his son.

Amid the jubilation, though, senior Republicans on Capitol Hill said they were troubled by the means by which Bergdahl’s release was accomplished.

Top Republicans on the Senate and House armed services committees accused Obama of breaking the law, which requires the administration to notify Congress before any transfers from Gitmo are carried out.

A senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, acknowledged to The Washington Post that the law was not followed.

“Due to a near-term opportunity to save Sgt. Bergdahl’s life, we moved as quickly as possible,” the official said. “The administration determined that given these unique and exigent circumstances, such a transfer should go forward notwithstanding the notice requirement.”

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.