Belle Vernon house burns
BELLE VERNON – One firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation following a house fire Tuesday afternoon.
The fire was reported at 1:42 p.m. at the home of Randy Taborn, of 40 Sampson St. Taborn was not home at the time.
Belle Vernon Police Chief John Hartman said he was the first person on the scene and “saw smoke coming out from in front of the porch.”
“I didn’t know if there was anyone home, so I kicked the front door in to get access,” Hartman said.
Hartman said that when he entered the house there was a lot of smoke and he could see fire around a doorway leading from the cellar.
Brian Bennett, Belle Vernon Volunteer Fire Department deputy chief, said it appeared the blaze started in the basement.
“Right now it appears that damage has been limited to the basement, a rear outside wall and the second floor,” Bennett said at the scene.
The fire was extinguished by 2:55 p.m.
Belle Vernon firefighters were assisted by firefighters from North Belle Vernon, Fayette City and Washington Township, according to Bennett, who said Monessen and Charleroi fire companies were on standby.
Although Bennett said there were no injuries resulting from the fire, one firefighter was taken to Mon Valley Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation after complaining of chest pains.
Hartman said the fire is under investigation by his department and a state police fire marshal.