Archive

Bellevue apartment heavily damaged by early-morning fire | TribLIVE.com
News

Bellevue apartment heavily damaged by early-morning fire

An extension cord in a boy’s bedroom appears to have sparked a fire in a Bellevue apartment building early Wednesday, the fire chief said.

Firefighters arrived to the two-unit building on Grant Avenue shortly after 3 a.m., Chief Glenn Pritchard said.

“There was heavy fire showing out of the second floor,” he said. “It actually melted some siding from the house next door.”

Pritchard said four people were displaced by the fire. No one was hurt, he said.

“It’s been ruled an accidental fire started by a faulty extension cord,” Pritchard said. “It was in a 10-year old boy’s bedroom. Fortunately, everybody got out.”

The landlord said he’s devastated by the damage.

“It brings tears to my eyes. Just put a lot of work into it. I put a new roof on it and everything. I’m going to miss it. I don’t know what I have to do,” landlord Randy Dougan said.

WPXI contributed to this report. Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or [email protected].


TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.