Bellevue apartment heavily damaged by early-morning fire
An extension cord in a boy’s bedroom appears to have sparked a fire in a Bellevue apartment building early Wednesday, the fire chief said.
Firefighters arrived to the two-unit building on Grant Avenue shortly after 3 a.m., Chief Glenn Pritchard said.
“There was heavy fire showing out of the second floor,” he said. “It actually melted some siding from the house next door.”
Pritchard said four people were displaced by the fire. No one was hurt, he said.
“It’s been ruled an accidental fire started by a faulty extension cord,” Pritchard said. “It was in a 10-year old boy’s bedroom. Fortunately, everybody got out.”
The landlord said he’s devastated by the damage.
“It brings tears to my eyes. Just put a lot of work into it. I put a new roof on it and everything. I’m going to miss it. I don’t know what I have to do,” landlord Randy Dougan said.
WPXI contributed to this report. Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or [email protected].