Charleroi fire damages 100-year-old residence | TribLIVE.com
TribLive Logo
| Back | Text Size:
https://archive.triblive.com/news/charleroi-fire-damages-100-year-old-residence/

CHARLEROI – An electrical fire caused damage to the first floor of a home on Lincoln Avenue Tuesday morning.

The alarm for the fire at the three-story brick home at 215 Lincoln Ave. sounded at 10:48 a.m.

Charleroi Fire Chief Bob Whiten said the first firefighters on the scene saw flames in the living room and front area of the home.

“The fire was under control in about 10 minutes,” Whiten said. “We stayed on the scene for about an hour and a half for salvage purposes, as well as for the investigation.”

The 100-year-old house is owned by Evan and Kristy Bell, who were not home at the time of the blaze.

“The owners have a couple of kids and nobody was home when the fire broke out,” Whiten said. “The owners did show up later.”

The family’s cat, Dobbie, was discovered in the basement of the home and was rescued.

Whiten said a state police fire marshal declared the fire was electrical in nature and determined there was no foul play involved.

Volunteer firefighters from Charleroi were joined by North Charleroi, Fallowfield Township, Allenport, Stockdale, Roscoe, North Belle Vernon and Rostraver Central departments at the scene.

“I called for so many departments because of where the house was located,” said Whiten, who explained the house sits atop a steep hill in an historic section of the community.

Whiten said no firefighters were injured fighting the blaze.

As for the house, he said it was not a total loss although the structure suffered “heavy heat and smoke damage.”

Whiten said it appeared the fire started at the front of the home.

Copyright ©2019— Trib Total Media, LLC (TribLIVE.com)