Cowanshannock fire destroys pole barn, vehicles
A fire in Cowanshannock left a pole barn in ruins and destroyed several tractors inside Tuesday evening.
The fire started about 6:15 p.m. when sparks from burning garbage ignited the 28-foot by 40-foot building at Fred Troup’s home at 361 Clearfield Pike Road.
“He had been burning garbage behind the garage prior to the fire, so we’re pretty much assuming the wind took the hot sparks from the garbage pile,” Rural Valley fire Chief Kevin Nelson said.
The blaze quickly engulfed the building, destroying the tractors, an ATV and tools inside.
“That’s a big loss, with such a big building and all that content,” Nelson said. “Plus, there was a pickup truck right outside of the garage that burned.”
Explosions reported before fire crews arrived were likely caused by propane tanks in the garage, Nelson said. Kindled by dry leaves, the fire spread through the yard toward a wooded area behind the building.
“The garage was close to the woods, but it didn’t get that far,” Nelson said. “We got it under control really well.”
Along with Rural Valley, crews from Dayton, Kittanning Township, Elderton and Plumville fought the fire for about two hours.
No one was hurt in the fire, and Troup’s home was not in danger, Nelson said. Troup could not be reached Wednesday.
Julie E. Martin is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.