District college football spotlight
TOP DISTRICT GAMES
St. Francis, Pa. (0-3) at Robert Morris (2-1)
When: 1:30 p.m.
Where: Moon Stadium, Moon Township
On air: WPIT-AM (730), WWGE-AM (1400)
The skinny: After going 2-1 during a school record three-game road trip, Robert Morris plays its home-opener today against winless St. Francis. The Colonials are looking to avenge a 14-7 overtime loss last season. It was the Red Flash’s first victory in the overall series, which Robert Morris leads 7-1-1. Robert Morris, which defeated St. Peter’s, 31-24, last week, conducted a spirited QB battle for the starting spot, with Drew Guyer getting the nod. Coach Joe Walton used two others, in addition to Guyer, in last week’s game. St. Francis fell last week at Valparaiso, 38-6. The game features a pair of exciting senior runners in Sam Dorsett, Robert Morris’ all-time leading rusher, and Michael Hall, who ranks second on the St. Francis list.
Johns Hopkins (3-0) at Carnegie Mellon (3-0)
When: 1 p.m.
Where: Gesling Stadium, Pittsburgh
On air: WRCT-FM (88.3)
The skinny: Carnegie Mellon’s unbeaten streak this season will be severely tested by No. 23 Johns Hopkins, ranked for the first time in its history in the NCAA Division III coaches’ poll. The Blue Jays bring a seven-game streak of their own,dating to last season, onto the Tartans’ home field. While Carnegie Mellon was keeping its record unblemished this season with a 59-6 rout of Hiram last week, Johns Hopkins also was remaining unbeaten with a 24-0 victory over Randolph-Macon. Carnegie Mellon racked up 578 total yards on offense, including 435 on the ground, and dominated throughout against Hiram. Five Tartans RBs, led by Kevin Haney’s 61 yards, gained at least 50 yards.
- Alfred at Waynesburg, 1:30 p.m.
- Bethany, W.Va. at Grove City, 1:30 p.m.
- Bloomsburg at Slippery Rock, 6 p.m.
- Cheyney at California, Pa., 7 p.m.
- East Stroudsburg at Edinboro, 1 p.m.
- Johns Hopkins at Carnegie Mellon, 1 p.m.
- Kutztown at Clarion, 6 p.m.
- LaSalle at Duquesne, 7 p.m.
- Mansfield at Lock Haven, 7 p.m.
- Mercyhurst at Northwood, noon
- Millersville at Indiana, Pa., 7 p.m.
- Minnesota at Penn State, 1 p.m.
- Pitt at Texas A&M, 3:30 p.m.
- St. Francis, Pa. at Robert Morris, 1:30 p.m.
- Thiel at Washington & Jefferson, 1:30 p.m.
- Trinity International at Geneva, 7 p.m.
- West Chester at Shippensburg, 1 p.m.
- West Virginia State at Gannon, 1 p.m.
- Westminster at Allegheny, 1 p.m.
- Youngstown State at Liberty, 7 p.m.
is a former freelancer.