Family safe but dog dies in Sugarcreek trailer fire
A family dog died Wednesday in a fire that destroyed a Sugarcreek trailer while its residents were away.
Sasha Schrecengost, 23, returned from her father’s house around 5:30 p.m. with her baby girl and 6-year-old son to find smoke pouring from the overhang of her mobile home on Little Road.
“Smoke was just rolling out of the house,” she said. “The one window blew out and the flames were shooting out.”
After calling 911, Schrecengost tried to get into the trailer to save her Labrador retriever mix, Abe. She broke a window and busted down a door but was overcome by smoke.
“I couldn’t get to him because there was so much smoke,” she said. “I stopped yesterday to wash my car. I wonder if I hadn’t stopped would I have got home in time to get my dog out.”
Crews from six companies responded to the fire, according to Sugarcreek Fire Chief Jim Hillwigs.
“We quickly knocked down the main fire but it’s still a total loss,” he said.
Schrecengost, her boyfriend, Kristopher Minich, 24, and children, Charleigh, 1, and Keagan, 6, are staying at her parents’ house nearby after the fire.
The mobile home, owned by Schrecengost’s father, Jim, was insured. Its contents were not. The Red Cross is helping the family with food, clothing and baby supplies. Schrecengost’s sister has also set up a fundraising drive online.
The family plans to rebuild. Schrecengost grew up in the home, which her parents later gave to her. Though she is the most upset about losing her dog, she also mourns the loss of family heirlooms and photos.
“It was just an old trailer, but it did have a lot of significant memories,” she said. “It’s all the sentimental things that get to you.”
A state police fire marshal is investigating the blaze. According to Schrecengost, the fire marshal believes it was caused by an aging electrical outlet in the 35-year-old trailer.
Julie E. Martin is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1315 or [email protected].