Fire again strikes Hill District apartment building
Firefighters responded to a fire at a Hill District apartment building this morning, a day after units were evacuated for another fire there.
Authorities received a call for a fire at 7:30 a.m. at Reed Roberts Place, fire officials said.
Battalion fire chief Charles Lenz said the fire started in a kitchen, and the lone female occupant was at work when it began. The fire was contained to the kitchen, Lenz said. The fire was caused by an unattended stove, an investigator said.
The same building caught fire yesterday afternoon. A tenant in a third-floor apartment escaped unharmed , fire officials said. It appears that fire was started by a cigarette, an investigator said.
No one was injured in either fire, officials said.
Ray Czachowski, vice president for NDC Real Estate Management, the building’s property manager, said he was heading to the scene today to assess damage.