Fire displaces Charleroi family of three
No one was injured in a fire yesterday morning in Charleroi, but a family of three will have to find other living arrangements.
The fire occurred just before 10 a.m. at 914 Fallowfield Ave., about five blocks from the Charleroi Fire Department.
Fire Chief Robert Whiten Jr. said the fire was caused by an electrical problem in the 2 1/2 story wood-frame structure. About 10 people were gathered in the home of Homer and Connie Allensworth when the smoke was first noticed.
“They were having a family breakfast when they started smelling smoke,” Whiten said. “One of the outlets had smoke coming out of it, and it started glowing.”
Whiten said no one was hurt, and damage was limited. Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 20 minutes, but they remained on scene for nearly an hour.
“There was moderate damage on the first-floor kitchen area and very minor damage on the second floor,” Whiten said. “It was in the wall and going to the attic. We were able to get it stopped. The utilities were cut off because it was an electrical fire. They will have to find a place to stay for tonight or maybe a few days.”