Archive

Fire displaces Charleroi family of three | TribLIVE.com
News

Fire displaces Charleroi family of three

No one was injured in a fire yesterday morning in Charleroi, but a family of three will have to find other living arrangements.

The fire occurred just before 10 a.m. at 914 Fallowfield Ave., about five blocks from the Charleroi Fire Department.

Fire Chief Robert Whiten Jr. said the fire was caused by an electrical problem in the 2 1/2 story wood-frame structure. About 10 people were gathered in the home of Homer and Connie Allensworth when the smoke was first noticed.

“They were having a family breakfast when they started smelling smoke,” Whiten said. “One of the outlets had smoke coming out of it, and it started glowing.”

Whiten said no one was hurt, and damage was limited. Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 20 minutes, but they remained on scene for nearly an hour.

“There was moderate damage on the first-floor kitchen area and very minor damage on the second floor,” Whiten said. “It was in the wall and going to the attic. We were able to get it stopped. The utilities were cut off because it was an electrical fire. They will have to find a place to stay for tonight or maybe a few days.”


TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.