Fire hits Harrison home
HARRISON: Despite a heavy loss, a township couple was able to smile at the little things Thursday night after fire severely damaged their house in the Parks Plan section of the township.
The fire broke out about 10:20 p.m. in the second floor hallway of the house at 131 Pleasant Ave., according to Hilltop Hose Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jeff Balog.
No one was injured in the blaze, he said.
Balog said the fire was accidental and caused smoke and water damage to much of the house. He credited his crew for its quick work in preventing more damage.
“The internal crew was able to get inside and get the fire on the second floor knocked down quickly,” Balog said.
The house belongs to Rich Bosinec and Mary Profozich, who are engaged. Both were shaken although they were able to come to terms with their loss and joke about things such as the mounted deer head a firefighter salvaged from the house.
The couple was pulling up in front of their house when they noticed a bright orange glow on the second floor of the green, two-story wood frame structure. Profozich said she immediately called 911.
The couple has four cats, two dogs and an iguana. The dogs were safe Thursday night as they were outside at the time of the fire and two of the cats were found, too.
After a firefighter carried one of the cats out of the house, Bosinec expressed extreme relief for his fiancee.
“Oh, thank God,” he could be overheard saying. “That’s all I want is for them to find the cats.”
The iguana, however, was kept in a cage on the second floor of the house. Profozich said late Thursday that she didn’t think the iguana survived.
“I have a feeling he didn’t have much of a chance,” Profozich said.
Profozich said she and Bosinec have insurance. They had multiple offers for a place to stay.
Despite her calm demeanor, Profozich said she was certain the loss would sink in deep.
“I’m sure it’s really going to hit me later,” she said.
In addition to Hilltop, Citizens Hose and Harrison Hills volunteer fire departments were on scene, assisted by Citizens Hose EMS.