Freshman carries Bethel Park girls
With star senior Candace Martino hurt, Bethel Park turned to its future star.
Freshman forward Megan Marecic scored 24 points Friday and led the Black Hawks to a 58-46 victory over North Allegheny in the WPIAL Class AAAA girls quarterfinals at Baldwin.
“I always forget she’s a freshman, because she certainly doesn’t play like one,” coach Jonna Burke said. “We needed her to have a good game.”
Martino, a 5-foot-8 guard who has signed to play at Akron, injured her left knee late in the third quarter. Burke said Martino might have a hyperextended kneecap and would see a doctor Monday.
“You hate to see anybody go down like that, especially your own teammate,” Marecic said. “We’re a family. It just wasn’t good.”
Laurel Miller added 16 points for No. 3 seed Bethel Park (20-4), which led at halftime, 25-14, and never trailed. Alexis Aiken and Kelly Brennan led No. 6 North Allegheny (20-4) with 11 points apiece.
Bethel Park will face No. 2 seed Shaler on Tuesday in the semifinals.
• Mt. Lebanon 70, Gateway 41 — The top-seeded Blue Devils (19-5) got double-figure scoring from three players to eliminate No. 8 Gateway (15-9).
Senior Madison Cable scored 22 points to lead Mt. Lebanon, which will play Oakland Catholic in Tuesday’s semifinals. Kelly Johnson added 15 points, and Christine Ehland scored 10. Destiny Brown’s 10 points led Gateway.
Girls Class AA
• Beaver Falls 38, Riverside 34 — Beaver Falls overcame second-half foul trouble and advanced to a Tuesday semifinal against Jeannette.
Kiana Law scored 12 points, and Ayana Vaughn added 10 points for the Tigers (19-6). Riverside (20-4) was led by Alex Deep’s 15 points.
• Bishop Canevin 53, Avonworth 31 — Erin Waskowiak scored 20 points to lead No. 4 Bishop Canevin (20-4) over fifth-seeded Avonworth (20-4).
Johnie Olkosky and Celina DiPietro each added 12 for the Crusaders, who will play Seton-LaSalle in Tuesday’s semifinals.
Boys Class A
• Clairton 56, Rochester 55 — Bryon Clifford’s layup with 12.8 seconds left sent No. 9 Clairton (10-10) past top-seeded Rochester (19-4).
E.J. Blackwell made an acrobatic layup that gave Rochester a 55-54 lead with 36.4 seconds left. Clairton will play Vincentian in Tuesday’s semifinals.
Clifford finished with 13 points, and Tyler Boyd added 12. Giovanni Ellis led Rochester with 23.
• North Catholic 66, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart 54 — No. 2 seed North Catholic (18-6) led by as many as 15 points in the third quarter to advance to Tuesday’s semifinals. The seventh-seeded Chargers (16-8) cut the deficit to seven a few times in the fourth quarter but could get no closer.
Daniel Savulchak led North Catholic with 25 points and nine rebounds. Martin Long added 16 points, and Ryan Lewis scored 13 and pulled down 14 rebounds. Andrew Orie led the Chargers with 17 points.
• Vincentian 67, Serra Catholic 47 — Vincentian used a 14-3 fourth-quarter run to seal its victory over the Eagles (15-8) and move into a Tuesday semifinal against Clairton. The Royals (22-1) were led by Adam Dian and John Bray, who scored 23 and 18 points.
Boys Class AAA
• New Castle 47, Central Valley 42 — Anthony Richards hit back-to-back 3-pointers at the beginning of the fourth quarter to key a decisive 10-0 run for No. 4 seed New Castle (18-6), which will play South Fayette in Tuesday’s semifinals.
Shawn Anderson finished with 13 points for New Castle, and Antonio Rudolph added 10. Brandon Domenick contributed eight points and made two clutch free throws with 10.2 seconds left to restore New Castle’s two-possession lead.
Nick Delisio scored 18 points for No. 12 seed Central Valley (14-9).
• Blackhawk 51, Hampton 35 — Blackhawk limited Hampton to 11 points in the second half to grind out a victory and move into a Tuesday semifinal against Montour.
Nick Martin led the Cougars (17-7) with 14 points. Tyler Damazo added 13. Ryan Luther led Hampton (15-8) with 14.