Little information released about Calif. boardwalk suspect
LOS ANGELES — A man who spent time in jail for shoplifting in Colorado was in custody on Monday for allegedly running down a dozen people along the Venice Beach boardwalk, including an Italian tourist who was honeymooning in California.
Little information was released about 38-year-old Nathan Louis Campbell, who was arrested when he walked into a police station several hours after the rampage and said he was involved. He remained in custody on $1 million bail.
Court records showed Campbell was sentenced to five days in jail for pleading guilty to shoplifting at a Denver Pavilions in February 2009. Five months later, he was accused of trespassing at an outdoor mall in Denver and sentenced to 10 days in jail, records show.
Campbell lived in Colorado as recently as last year. He was evicted from his apartment in Denver for not paying $655 in rent in March 2012, records show.
California authorities said no one with his name and birth date had a driver’s license in their state.
Killed in Saturday’s rampage was 32-year-old Alice Gruppioni. Her family said she was a businesswoman who never ceased to be a romantic girl dreaming about her bridal gown and meeting Prince Charming.
“She was robbed of her life while living her dream visit to California with her husband and this was a tremendous injustice,” the family said in a statement.
The hit-and-run injured 11 other people who moments earlier had been enjoying an afternoon of strolling and shopping along one of the top tourist attractions in Los Angeles.
Police have not presented their case to prosecutors, and they declined to discuss a possible motive. However, Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese said there was no indication the attack was a terrorist act or that anyone else was involved.
Police said the driver of the car initially parked outside a hotel and surveyed the boardwalk. Surveillance video showed the driver getting into a Dodge sedan, steering around a vehicle barrier and careening through the crowd.