Maholm to face Halladay today
• Left-hander Paul Maholm will start today against Phillies right-hander Roy Halladay at Clearwater. Scheduled to follow Maholm are Jeff Karstens, Tony Watson, Sean Gallagher, Chris Leroux and Rudy Owens.
• Ronny Cedeno was supposed to start at shortstop Friday, but a bruised middle finger, suffered the day before in a 4-1 win over the Toronto Blue Jays, left him unable to grip the bat properly. He was replaced in the lineup by Pedro Ciriaco.
• Most of the starters for both teams were out of the game when the Phillies vaulted ahead with a three-run seventh inning yesterday. Phillies first baseman Matt Rizotti doubled off right-handed non-roster invitee Fernando Nieve to drive in shortstop Freddy Galvis. Second baseman Pete Orr grounded out against Michael Dubee — the son of Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee who spent most of last season in Double-A Altoona — to score outfielder Brandon Moss, and catcher Dane Sardinha singled to right field to bring home Rizotti.
• Reliever Evan Meek pitched live batting practice and completed a pitcher’s fielding practice session yesterday at Pirate City and is on track to throw an inning Monday against Tampa Bay.
• Joe Beimel also went through his throwing program yesterday with no complaints, according to the team, and is scheduled to throw again today. Like Cedeno, his progress will be determined by his symptoms.
• Pirates charities and the Bradenton Boosters have committed $50,000 toward the construction of a Miracle League Field for Manatee and Sarasota Counties. They will also help in planning the field, designed specifically for children with special needs. It will be the first of its kind in Bradenton.
Karen Price is a former freelancer.