Two basketball programs cut at Elizabeth Forward Middle School last summer due to budget constraints have been restored.
Thanks to an anonymous donation of more than $1,000, the school again has four basketball teams serving seventh- and eighth-grade boys and girls.
During the budget process at the end of the 2009-10 school year, the four teams, which individually served each grade and gender, were folded into just two teams — one for boys and one for girls — in both grades this school year.
Supporters of the basketball program complained at a meeting last month that the district was saving a little money on its budget at great expense to young athletes.
“I’m glad somebody donated the money to us so the program could be reinstated,” school board president Margaret Morgan said after Wednesday’s meeting.
Morgan, who at the previous meeting had been opposed to bringing the basketball programs back, saying the board should stick by its “tough decision” to make the cut, said Wednesday that middle school athletics will be re-evaluated at the end of the current school year.
The restoration of the programs is effective immediately.