Military awards, records available to veterans |

Military awards, records available to veterans

When Byers-Tosh American Legion Post 267 commander D.J. Jackson witnessed the reaction of an area veteran as he first gazed on the military medals he earned while serving his country, he knew what he had to do.

Jackson called his sister and told her he found the perfect Christmas present for their father, William Welby Jackson Jr. of Big Springs, Texas.

He was taking his lead from a presentation to veteran Frank Greshock.

“Frank’s daughter gave the medals to him for a birthday present and presented it at one of our legion meetings,” Jackson said.

Jackson’s father, a Navy Aerographer’s Mate 3rd Class, served on the USS Cabot, an aircraft carrier, in World War II. Through the years, William Jackson lost track of his military achievement medals.

Jackson performed a medal search and ordered a set of medals to be arranged on a framed mat.

“We called Dad on Christmas and all he could say was he was so grateful we did this for him,” Jackson said.

William Jackson has since passed away, but his son was glad he got the chance to give this special gift to his father.

Jackson said many servicemen never received their military medals. Some only received the ribbons to place on their uniform. He said all a veteran needs to find out what medals they have been awarded is a copy of their discharge papers or form DD214.

How to get medals

There are several ways to obtain duplicate medals.

Clothing and Heraldry Product Support Integration Directorate is responsible for the issuance of medals, decorations and awards to veterans and their next of kin.

For veterans of all branches who were discharged or retired prior to Oct. 1 2002, medals may be requested by sending a written request along with a copy of the DD 214 or other discharge papers and death certificate if applicable, to: National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 1 Archive Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138.

Submit a request electronically to

Army veterans separated, discharged or retired after that date should send a written request along with a copy of the DD 214 or other discharge papers to U.S. Army Human Resources Command — Fort Knox, Attn: AHRC-PDP-A, 1600 Spearhead, Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122.

Call 888-276-9472 or go to, for more information.

If you are a veteran or next of kin of a deceased veteran, you may now use to order a copy of military records.

Or, request a copy of standard form 180 from the National Personnel Records Center at the address listed above. It includes complete instructions for preparing and submitting requests.

To purchase medals and ribbons directly, visit one of several online medal service companies including (877-653-9577) or (800-308-0849).

Deborah A. Brehun is a staff editor for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-238-2111 or [email protected].

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.