Monessen lawyer accepts disbarment
A suspended Monessen attorney has voluntarily accepted disbarment.
The Disciplinary Board of the state Supreme Court Tuesday announced Tuesday that Mark S. Galper has been disbarred on consent, having submitted a statement of resignation.
The disbarment will take effect Dec. 31, 2015. The Supreme Court order was dated Tuesday.
Because Galper accepted resignation by consent, records from a state investigation will remain sealed, said Elaine Bixler, a Disciplinary Board spokeswoman.
Galper can seek reinstatement of his law license after five years, but Bixler said there is no certainty he would receive it.
Galper did not return calls placed to his cell phone Tuesday seeking comment.
Galper was placed on temporary suspension Feb. 13.
At that time, Bixler said Galper was “under investigation and was subpoenaed for records, but failed to respond.” The Disciplinary Board subsequently recommended what Bixler termed an “interim suspension” for Galper.
The Supreme Court found Galper in contempt of court for failure to comply with the subpoenas.
The suspension temporarily prevented Galper from practicing law. The suspension was never lifted.
The Office of Disciplinary Counsel in Pittsburgh conducted the investigation, which the state deemed to be confidential. The debarment closes the investigation, Bixler said Tuesday.
At the time of his suspension, Galper claimed the matter involved his failure to complete continuing legal education.
Galper had practiced law since 1981. He previously served for a year as a judicial law clerk in Fayette County.
Galper held memberships in the Westmoreland Academy of Trial Lawyers; the Pennsylvania and Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers associations; and the Westmoreland and Pennsylvania Bar associations.
Chris Buckley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at [email protected] or 724-684-2642.