Mt. Davis hike scheduled
• Allegheny Group of the Sierra Club will lead a 10-mile hike around Mt. Davis, the highest point in the state, to look for blooming mountain laurel Saturday. Hikers will see a natural spring that bubbles up through loose sand and finish at the observation tower atop Mt Davis. Call Dave Mottorn at 724-327-7582.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a hike through Quebec Run Wild Area from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Cost is $8 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Allegheny Group of the Sierra Club will lead a strenuous loop hike through the Charles Lewis Natural Area and the Gallitzin State Forest Sunday. It will include views over the Conemaugh Gorge, along Clarks Run, and on Rager Mountain. Call Dick Pratt at 412-362-5567.
• Butler Outdoor Club will host its annual picnic Saturday at Presque Isle State Park. Meet at 10 a.m. at the East Pier shelter to bike, kayak, canoe, hike and swim. Bring a dish to share for a potluck lunch. Call Jean or Dave at 724-453-1685.
• Three Rivers Bird Club will lead a trip to the Clarion area to look for mourning warblers and other woodland breeding birds and henslow’s and grasshopper sparrows Saturday. Mike Leahy will lead the trip. Meet at 9 a.m. at the Country Fair convenience store at the intersection of Route 66 and Route 322 approximately three miles north of Exit 60 on I-80.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a free bird identification workshop from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Harrison Hills Park in Natrona Heights. Professional naturalists will discuss how to identify common bird species by sight and song and how to use binoculars and field guides. Meet in the park’s main parking lot. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a “breakfast hour paddle” on the Allegheny River from 6:15 to 7:30 a.m. Friday. Meet at Kayak Pittsburgh under the Sixth Street bridge. Cost is $10 for members, $15 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Outside Adventures will lead a canoe and kayak trip to the Loyalhanna and Conemaugh dams Saturday and June 18. Participants can come for the day or camp out. The weekend will include a turkey fry, moonlight paddling, and more. Kayaks will be available for rent. Call 724-230-0237.
• Venture Outdoors’ TriAnglers group will meet to fish from Point State Park from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. each Wednesday. Fishing instructor Karen Gainey will be on hand to help those who need it. All are welcome to attend, but a fishing license is required. Cost is $5. Call 412-255-0564 or visit www.ventureoutdoors.org .
• Venture Outdoors will sponsor an introduction to fly fishing class from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Ohiopyle State Park. Instructors Cyndi Zibrida and Dale Kotowski of the Chestnut Ridge chapter of Trout Unlimited will focus on the basics of rods, reels, line, tippets, knots and flies, and casting techniques. There will be time for fishing, too. Cost is $50 for members, $60 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.