Matt Morris will report to the Pirates today, which will require a roster move — perhaps another demotion for Jonah Bayliss. Morris is scheduled to pitch Saturday against Cincinnati.
• The Pirates aren’t responsible for Morris’ $2 million signing bonus, which is payable upon the completion of Morris’ contract. That money will be paid by the San Francisco Giants. Morris is making $9.5 million this year.
• Tom Gorzelanny’s next start has been pushed back another day — to Sunday. Gorzelanny, who skipped a turn to give his sore shoulder a rest, is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. The left-hander reported no problems after throwing long toss Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Xavier Nady (hamstring) doesn’t appear to be headed to the disabled list. He received treatment yesterday and plans to try some running and cutting today.
• Jose Bautista was activated from the disabled list and started at third base last night. Bautista had been out since July 15 with a lacerated hand.
“It’s definitely 100 percent,” Bautista said. “It’s been like that for five or six days.”
• The Pirates scored 90 runs in July, ranking 30th in the majors. Bautista didn’t score a run in the nine games in which he played. Freddy Sanchez was the team leader in homers (five) and runs scored (17).
45 – Walks drawn by Pirates batters in July
25 – Walks drawn by Barry Bonds in July
121 – Walks drawn by the Boston Red Sox in July