News to Use
The 16th annual Apollo Relay for Life “Sweet 16” 2011 Relay Kick-off and team registration will be held from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at the First Lutheran Church, Apollo. Team numbers will be available at 8 a.m. Team registration numbers will be set out at the entrance to the church social hall. The 2011 Relay for Life Kick-Off meeting will begin at 9 a.m. Team registration will be held after the kick-off meeting has concluded. The survivor/caregiver luncheon will be held at noon. Requirements include team registration form must be completed at time of registration. Team representative must be present to receive a team packet. Registration fee is $100. Questions may be directed to Donna Zukas at 724-568-2517.
The Armstrong County Chamber of Commerce will hold its sixth annual silent auction, dinner, and entertainment “Chamber Roundup” on Nov. 20 at Lingrow Farms. Silent auction, Hors d’oeuvres, and cash bar to begin at 6 p.m. Dinner will be served at 7 p.m. Cost is $45 per person or $320 for a table of eight. Those attending are asked to wear their cowboy boots and hats for western fun. Deadline for reservations is Friday.
The Armstrong County Tourist Bureau will host the second annual evening of d’Vine Specialties from 6-8 p.m. Thursday at the 10th Street Station in Ford City. Cost of tickets is $25 per person (must be 21 years or older), which includes unlimited sampling of local wines and specialty foods. There will be a gallery containing the works of local artists and photographers, as well as live music by Tony Buccicone.
This year, local amateur winemakers are invited to show off their products and discuss techniques. Space is limited. Anyone who is interested in showcasing their homemade wine is asked to contact the Armstrong County Tourist Bureau. To RSVP or for information, contact the Armstrong County Tourist Bureau at 1-888-265-9954 or visit www.armstrongcounty.com .
The Butler County Symphony Orchestra presents its second concert of the 62nd season at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Butler Intermediate High School Auditorium, 151 Fairground Road in Butler. The theme for the season is “Images”, and this concert is focused on “Earth.”
Reserved seat tickets are available at the Butler County Symphony Association office, 259 S. Main St., Butler. Adult ticket prices are $15 in advance and $18 at the door on concert night. Student tickets are $5. For information, call 724-283-1402 or visit the website at www.butlersymphony.org .
Bingo will be held the following Thursdays in November including Nov. 4, 11, 18 at the Kittanning Township fire hall. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Bingo begins at 7:15 p.m. Kitchen is open. New players are welcome. The fire hall is located four miles east of Kittanning on Route 422, towards Indiana. There will be no bingo held Nov. 25, Thanksgiving.
A turkey dinner with buffet style serving will be held beginning at 5 p.m. Saturday at the Gilpin fire hall. Cost is meal is adults, $7.50, children 5-12, $3.50, and free to children younger than 5. Take outs will be available from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Questions may be directed to 724-845-7200.
• The Allegheny Valley Chapter of the Women’s Business Network will meet at 8 a.m. Tuesday at the UPMC Lighthouse Point at Chapel Harbor across the road from Waterworks Mall, Fox Chapel. The group meets bi-monthly on the first and third Tuesdays each month. Meeting agendas include self-marketing and a business presentation by an individual member. For information, contact Maryanne Barnes at 412-781-3171 or [email protected] .
• The Kiski Valley Chapter of Alliance of Bikers Aimed Towards Education (A.B.A.T.E. of Pa.) will hold its next monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Hungarian Club, 474 Evergreen Road, Leechburg. Questions may be directed to Harold at 724-763-2270..
• The Kittanning High School Class of 1951 will hold its monthly luncheon at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at The Villa in Cadogan. Classmates, spouses, and friends are welcome.
• A meeting to create a committee for the 125th anniversary of Ford City Borough in 2012 will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the auditorium of Ford City High School. Anyone interested in participating is welcome. Questions may be directed to Jim Solak at [email protected] .
• The monthly meeting of the Cowanshannock Creek Watershed Association will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Armsdale Administration Building Conference Room 103. The public is welcome. Questions may be directed to Pam Meade at 724-783-6692.
• The First Armstrong County Council of Republican Women will hold its next meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday in the Armstrong County Courthouse Annex Building Conference Room. All interested are welcome.
• The Ford City Eagles Auxiliary 606 will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday.
• The Kittanning High School Class of 1953 will hold its monthly luncheon at 12:30 p.m. Friday at Dizzy Lizzy’s, Kittanning. All classmates and friends are welcome.