No fee required to apply for rebate, says AG’s office |

No fee required to apply for rebate, says AG’s office

As the deadline approaches for the Pennsylvania Property Tax/Rent Rebate program, some seniors have received letters offering to fill out the forms for a fee.

A Scottdale resident received one from a company called Senior Advisory Center, based in Harrisburg, which offers assistance for a $39 processing fee.

While not illegal, such services are rarely necessary, said Nils Frederiksen, spokesman for the office of Attorney General Tom Corbett. “Earlier this fall, we began to see a wave of calls from consumers. Our concern is that many times individuals may get a fee-based offer. We recommend that people first check with the governmental agencies. Why would you want to pay an intermediary to fill out your paperwork?”

Frederiksen said in some cases, such as federal tax forms, assistance may be helpful. “But state and federal programs don’t require an agent to fill out a form.”

He suggested taking a practical approach and filling out the rebate form or getting free help from a friend or relative. “In these current economic times, you certainly want to save some money by doing this yourself.”

If a resident is concerned about the legitimacy of an offer to help with a state form, Frederiksen suggested contacting that state department directly.

“If someone thinks someone is engaged in deceptive activity, contact the Attorney General’s office,” he said. “We review all complaints.”

The consumer hot line is 1-800-441-2555.

The state Department of Revenue, which administers the program, said there is no fee to apply for the rebate.

The department also reported the income eligibility level for the Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program has been raised from $15,000 a year to $35,000 a year, excluding half of Social Security income. In addition, the maximum rebate was increased from $500 to $650 for homeowners. The rebate amount depends on income. The deadline was extended to Dec. 31.

Claimants or spouses 65 years of age or older, widows or widowers 50 years of age or older, and the permanently disabled 18 years of age or older may qualify. Forms are available from the department, at most state legislators’ offices and at state offices. Those with internet access can download the form at or receive assistance by calling the department at 1-888-222-9190.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.