Notebook: Colts, Bears to play in preseason
• The Indianapolis Colts and Chicago Bears will meet in the preseason, a Super Bowl rematch highlighting the NFL’s exhibition schedule released yesterday. The Bears-Colts game will be played Aug. 20 in the RCA Dome in Indianapolis.
• The Arizona Cardinals signed free-agent offensive lineman Mike Gandy to a three-year contract. Gandy started all 16 games for the Buffalo Bills last season, nine at left guard and seven at left tackle.
• The Houston Texans re-signed eight players, including defensive back Dexter McCleon. McCleon, a cornerback, appeared in every game for Houston last season and had 28 tackles and one interception.
• Free-agent offensive lineman Rick DeMulling has signed a one-year contract with the Indianapolis Colts, the team that drafted him in 2001, his agent said.
• The New York Jets officially announced the signing of defensive end David Bowens yesterday, and also waived wide receiver Phil Silva.
• Safety Mike Adams signed a two-year contract with the Cleveland Browns , adding some depth to their secondary. Adams had 67 tackles in 16 games with the San Francisco 49ers last season, including eight starts.
• Indianapolis Colts defensive end Darrell Reid was arrested over the weekend in Freeport, N.J., on suspicion of possessing marijuana, borough police said.
15 – Preseason games scheduled to be nationally televised.
12 – Number of 2006 playoff teams, out of 12, that will appear in a nationally televised preseason game.