Notebook: Plenty Bucs, Phils among all-stars
Despite taking a combined 67-104 record into last night’s game, the Pirates and Phillies boasted a combined five 2006 All-Stars. Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez are the Pirates stars. Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Tom Gordon will represent the Phillies.
• Victor Santos, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list June 18 with a strained rotator cuff, threw five scoreless innings for Triple-A Indianapolis this week, but manager Jim Tracy would not pinpoint when the right-hander might rejoin the Pirates.
“We haven’t fully discussed that,” he said. “Is it safe to say that at some point in time you’re going to see him back hereâ¢ Sure you are.”
Santos was 4-7 with a 4.83 ERA with the Pirates in 15 games, 14 of them starts.
• Ryan Vogelsong, the right-handed pitcher who had been designated for assignment June 27, has cleared waivers and has agreed to report to Indianapolis. Vogelsong had a 0-0 record and 6.39 ERA in 30 innings over 20 games this season for the Pirates.
• Pirates first-round draft pick Brad Lincoln is scheduled to make his professional debut this afternoon with the Gulf Coast League Pirates.
• Jack Wilson, who had been given the day off Thursday, was back in the starting lineup at shortstop.
• Bay’s first-inning RBI was his 64th of the season, the most for a Pirate before the All-Star Game since Brian Giles drove in 72 in 2000.