ShareThis Page
Man charged in Philadelphia, Virginia abductions |

Man charged in Philadelphia, Virginia abductions

The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA — The man accused of grabbing a Philadelphia woman off the street this week and taking her to Maryland has a history of violence, choking his ex-wife a decade ago and abducting a 16-year-old Virginia girl just last month with the intention of killing her, authorities say.

But neither of Delvin Barnes’ most recent victims submitted meekly, police said.

The teenager managed to escape as Barnes was digging her intended grave. A month later, 22-year-old Philadelphia resident Carlesha Freeland-Gaither fought her attacker even while bound — and left a bread crumb for police in the form of her cellphone.

“She’s really a very, very strong young woman and just very, very lucky to have survived this,” police Commissioner Charles Ramsey told The Associated Press on Thursday, a day after federal agents rescued Freeland-Gaither and arrested her alleged abductor.

Barnes, 37, was charged federally with kidnapping. Court documents filed Thursday night said Barnes confessed and told authorities he didn’t know the victim, whose abduction Sunday night was captured on surveillance video seen nationwide.

Agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives found Barnes’ vehicle — its rear window kicked out by Freeland-Gaither — on a road in Jessup, Md., with Barnes and the kidnapped woman lying next to each other in the back seat. After her rescue, she was taken to a hospital but soon was reunited with her mother and other family members, who took her home to Philadelphia.

“Obviously, she’s got a long recovery period. The psychological trauma is really something that you can’t measure,” Ramsey said. “It’s going to take time for those wounds to heal, if ever. But she’s home, that’s the main thing.”

Barnes was released a year ago after serving eight years in prison for a 2005 assault on his estranged wife and her family in Philadelphia. Barnes beat and choked her, punched her mother in the face and hit her father in the head with a glass bowl, court records show.

Pennsylvania’s parole board repeatedly denied Barnes early release because it said he lacked remorse and posed a threat to the community.

At the time of his arrest in the kidnapping case, Barnes was wanted in connection with the abduction of a 16-year-old Richmond girl who authorities say was hit in the head with a shovel, stuffed into the trunk of a car and taken to a weathered mobile home 30 miles southeast of Richmond. There Barnes ordered the teen to take off her clothes, set them on fire and doused her in bleach and gasoline, said sheriff’s Capt. Jayson Crawley of Charles City County, Va.

She escaped while Barnes was digging a hole, he said.

Authorities identified Barnes as the assailant through DNA obtained from the victim. They also got a picture of his’ vehicle from a traffic camera — and that turned out to be the big break that helped police find Freeland-Gaither.

Authorities spotted a used-car dealer’s name on the photo and recognized the dealership as one that routinely puts GPS devices on its cars. Crawley said the dealership sells to customers with poor credit and relies on GPS when it needs to find and repossess cars whose owners have fallen behind on the payments.

“We called the dealership, and within five minutes they had the location,” he said.

ATF agents surrounded the car Wednesday afternoon, took Barnes into custody and checked Freeland-Gaither for injuries.

“She was completely hysterical and emotionally drained and was finally relieved knowing that she was safe,” said Tim Jones, ATF agent in charge in Lanham, Maryland.

On Thursday, a Maryland judge ordered Barnes sent to Virginia following a hearing in which he answered yes-and-no questions and did not have an attorney with him.

The Baltimore County Department of Corrections said Friday that Barnes was taken to Virginia overnight. He was booked Friday on charges of attempted murder, sexual assault, kidnapping and assault at the Riverside Regional Jail in Prince George.

Lt. Laura Gray said Barnes was put on suicide watch shortly after being booked. The decision was made by the medical staff.

A court appearance is set for Wednesday.

Ramsey said it might be a while before Barnes faces justice in Pennsylvania. But that hardly mattered to a relieved Philadelphia police chief.

“He’s not going to see the light of day,” Ramsey said. “He’s off the street and he can’t harm anybody else ever again, hopefully.”

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.