Girl, 12, rescues 4-year-old sister from burning house in Homestead
Unattended cooking on Wednesday started a fire that displaced 13 people in Homestead, officials said.
Allegheny County Emergency Services Chief Alvin Henderson said investigators ruled the fire accidental.
A 12-year-old girl carried her 4-year-old sister from the burning house on West Street about 6 a.m.
“I heard my mom saying: ‘There’s a fire!’ ” Laniyah Coller, 12, told Tribune-Review news partner WPXI.
Laniyah said she was upstairs with her sister, Angel-Lynn, 4, at the time. She said her mother told her the fire was downstairs.
“I said: ‘Are we going to jump out the windows?’ and she said, ‘No, just hurry up downstairs!’ ” Laniyah said. “That’s when I grabbed my sister. I just skipped the steps. All the smoke was in my eyes.”
Everyone escaped unharmed, but the family is believed to have lost everything.
“My sister carried me, but then she was crying because all our stuff was gone. Even my pretty clothes are gone,” Angel-Lynn said.
A spokesman with the American Red Cross said the agency is assisting people from two homes affected by the fire with food, clothing and shelter.