McKees Rocks girl, 1, died from exposure to potent opioid carfentanil
A 1-year-old girl from McKees Rocks who died in August was exposed to the powerful synthetic opioid carfentanil, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office said.
The office identified the toddler as Audriana Cohen and blamed her accidental death on the toxic effects of carfentanil, a sedative for elephants and other large animals that can be mixed with heroin and cocaine or used as a heroin substitute. The drug is 10,000 times more potent than morphine.
The details surrounding the little girl’s death remain unclear.
A woman identifying herself as the girl’s mother said on social media that the child was in the care of a babysitter when she was exposed to the drug.
BREAKING: The 1-year-old died on Aug. 6 in McKees Rocks.
The woman, Marcy Cohen, did not return messages. Neither did her husband.
Allegheny County Police are investigating.
“There are discussions if charges should be filed, against whom, and if so which charges should be filed,” Superintendent Coleman J. McDonough said Thursday afternoon.
He said coming to a decision could take time.
“It won’t be today or tomorrow or maybe even the next day,” McDonough said.
Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Mike Manko said the office has had with “ongoing communications” with investigators and described the case as an active investigation.
Staff writer Chuck Biedka contributed. Mary Ann Thomas is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach her at 724-226-4691, firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @MaThomas_Trib.
Mary Ann Thomas is a Tribune-Review staff reporter. You can contact Mary at 724-226-4691, email@example.com or via Twitter .