ShareThis Page
Stabbing suspect planned arson at Homestead mental health facility, police say |

Stabbing suspect planned arson at Homestead mental health facility, police say

Madasyn Czebiniak And Bob Bauder
| Saturday, November 12, 2016 6:41 p.m
Dustin Johnson in July 2013. He is accused of stabbing five people at the Turtle Creek Valley Mental Health/Mental Retardation Inc. on November 11, 2016.
Andrew Russell | Tribune-Review
Cherrell Fulton, 28, of Wlkinsburg (left), a counselor at Turtle Creek Valley Mental Health in Homestead, hugs her aunt Elana Lawson of Swissvale after Fulton escaped harm when a man with a gun and a knife entered the facility Friday, Nov. 11, 2016.
Andrew Russell | Tribune-Review
SWAT members wait outside the Turtle Creek Valley Mental Health facility in Homestead after man with a gun and a knife entered the facility Friday, Nov. 11, 2016.
Andrew Russell | Tribune-Review
Police stand outside the Turtle Creek Valley Mental Health facility in Homestead after man with a gun and a knife entered the facility Friday, Nov. 11, 2016.

Police believe the man accused of stabbing five people Friday also intended to set fire to the Homestead mental health facility where he was eventually shot and wounded by a SWAT team.

Now Dustin Johnson, 38, faces multiple charges, among them attempted homicide, as police continue to investigate the attack at Turtle Creek Valley Mental Health/Mental Retardation Inc.

Johnson is accused of entering the West Street facility, where staff members said he previously spent time as a patient, about 2 p.m. Friday. He was dressed in all black and brandished a pistol along with multiple large kitchen knives, according to court records and officials.

Five people, all either residents or employees, were stabbed before police cornered Johnson at the end of a long hallway and persuaded him to drop the knives. Trapped victims and witnesses hid under desks and in offices.

Three SWAT officers fired at him after he continued to brandish the pistol, which turned out to be a black CO2-powered air gun with a flashlight mounted on it. But police say it had no orange tip or markings to differentiate it from a real firearm.

Allegheny County Police Superintendent Coleman McDonough on Saturday said he wouldn’t speculate about what might have led up to or what prompted the incident.

But he said investigators believe Johnson poured lighter fluid into an elevator and had a lighter among a bag of possessions he carried when he entered the facility.

“We believe it was an attempt to start a fire,” he said.

Attempts to reach facility officials were unsuccessful Saturday.

Johnson was taken to a hospital and underwent surgery for multiple gunshot wounds. He was recovering in an intensive care unit as of Friday night. The victims also were hospitalized; most were taken to UPMC Mercy in Uptown. Police did not disclose their names. One victim in critical condition underwent surgery for stab wounds to the neck. The others were all in stable condition.

A UPMC official on Saturday referred a request for updates on the victims’ and Johnson’s conditions to police. McDonough on Saturday said he did not have any updates.

Police believe Johnson last resided at a motel in Crafton, though he checked out on Friday.

A criminal complaint lists a Mt. Washington apartment as Johnson’s residence, though McDonough said investigators believe his address “changes frequently.”

Court records show Johnson pleaded guilty to a terroristic threat charge in January 2007 and was sentenced to two years of probation. He was also convicted of disorderly conduct and retail theft in 2010 and 2013, respectively.

The officers who shot Johnson were placed on administrative duty per protocol until the incident is reviewed and the district attorney consulted, McDonough said.

McDonough on Saturday also dismissed an initial report from a 911 caller that Johnson sexually assaulted at least one person. He attributed the false claim to the “initial confusion” surrounding the attacks.

Michael Walton is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at 412-380-5627 or

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.