Place of worship to mark 100 years
Cochran’s Mill United Methodist Church congregation will celebrate its 100th year of worship in its present structure on Saturday.
The church is in the center of Burrell Township on Route 2025, nearly nine and a half miles south of Elderton.
The church was organized in the 1850s. It was on Oct. 20, 1907, that the dedication of the second Methodist structure took place on the present site. This larger building replaced the first smaller one on the same land, only a few feet away.
Through the years, it has been known as the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Church and now the United Methodist Church.
On April 14, 1907, the original church building caught fire and burned completely, but many items were salvaged. Among those items were two chandeliers that were refurbished and placed in the present sanctuary.
Renovations in 1952 included the excavation under the church for basement facilities. Members have raised money for several church improvements, including repaneling walls and new oak entrance doors with stained glass inserts. Recent donations include air conditioning and a handicapped-accessible rest room.
The fundraisers, which include turkey dinners, also are used for camperships.
The sanctuary maintains its rustic appeal, complementing the rural country setting.
The present pastor is Kevin Rea, along with a newly appointed associate pastor, Craig Lindahl. The congregation uses what a spokesperson describs as a Bible-based, simplistic style of worship and music. The charge consists of Elderton, Mt. Zion, Whitesburg and Rural Valley, along with Cochran’s Mill.
Saturday’s event will begin at noon with a ham, potato and covered-dish meal. Special music, a 1976 video and remarks from former pastors will be included. A special commemorative afghan will be available for purchase. Past members and all who are interested are welcome to attend.