Salvation Army to launch annual Red Kettle drive
Ring the bells — Red Kettle time is here.
The Salvation Army Western Pennsylvania Division has announced activities for the holiday season, during which its Allegheny County corps hopes to net $810,000.
Army divisional spokeswoman Virginia Knor said more than 100 of those familiar kettles will be set out until Dec. 24.
Knor said Vector Security and WWSW-94.5 will be official sponsors of the kettles, but additional volunteers and kettle sites are needed.
Activities scheduled for the upcoming holiday period that impact Mon-Yough communities include signups for families in need for Christmas food and toy assistance.
In McKeesport, that will happen Tuesdays in November from 9 a.m. till noon and 1-3 p.m. at the Army’s Worship and Service Center, 812 Walnut St.
Applicants must bring photo identification and proof of income and expenses. Call Capts. Sean and Andrea Barton, 412-673-6627 for details.
Other holiday activities will include:
• “Adopt-A-Family” through Dec. 11. Sponsors are in the process of selecting and purchasing holiday gifts for needy families in Allegheny County. Gifts will be collected at the Army’s 1323 Forbes Ave. location in Pittsburgh’s Uptown section from Dec. 1-11, then distributed through Dec. 17. Call 412-394-3580, ext. 102.
• Wendy’s annual Frosty Key Tag promotion through Dec. 31 at the company’s area restaurants. A $1 tag means a full year of free Junior Frosties.
• The ninth annual Garbage Bag Gala Friday from 7-10 p.m. at the Fox Chapel Racquet Club. Some of the most stylish women in Western Pennsylvania will raise dollars creating and wearing dresses made from garbage bags. Call 412-999-1250 .
• Family Fun Nights Nov. 10 and Dec. 8 from 5-8 p.m. at Fuddruckers in the Waterfront. Twenty-five percent of every purchase will be donated to the Army’s Steel Valley Worship and Service Center along Ninth Avenue. Call Maj. Karen Garrett or Capt. Kathy Dorchak at 412-461-2460 for details.
• Allegheny County annual Doing the Most Good Dinner, Nov. 11 at 5:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Station Square. It’s a special evening featuring Jerome Bettis and honoring the Memon Family, Dr. Stephen Fisher, Marilyn DeHuff and John Newman. Call 412-446-1642.
• Run the Lights at Hartwood Acres Rite Aid Celebration of Lights Nov. 17. The event raises funds for new winter outerwear for needy kids and seniors throughout Western Pennsylvania. Call 412-446-1639.
• Wal-Mart Red Kettle Kickoff Challenge, Nov. 18 at 11:45 a.m. This annual partnership will be marked this year at the Wal-Mart in Robinson Township. Wal-Mart stores in Allegheny County, including those in North Versailles Township and West Mifflin, challenge each other to raise the most dollars.
• Steelers Red Kettle Day, Nov. 21 from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Heinz Field.
• Thanksgiving Food Distribution for registered families, Nov. 22 from 10 a.m. till 6 p.m. at the Braddock Worship and Service Center, 300 Holland Ave. Call Lt. Yvonne Guillaume at 412-271-2407.
• Honeysuckle White Thanksgiving Dinner, Nov. 23 at 6 p.m. at the Steel Valley Worship and Service Center, 104 E. Ninth Ave. Call 412-461-2460.
• Honeysuckle White Thanksgiving Dinner, Nov. 24 at 6 p.m. Volunteers are needed at the Braddock Worship and Service Center. Call 412-271-2407
• Honeysuckle White Holiday Dinner, Nov. 26 from noon till 1 p.m. Volunteers are needed to help prepare and serve meals and to clean up at the McKeesport Worship and Service Center. Call 412-673-6627.
• After School Program/Christmas Family Night Dec. 9 at 4:30 for and by the children and their families in the after-school program at the Steel Valley Worship and Service Center.
• Project Bundle-Up’s 24th annual telethon Dec. 10, 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., on WTAE-4.
• Steel Valley Worship and Service Center Toy Sorting for Needy Children, Dec. 13-16 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers can call 412-461-2460.
• Christmas program with special guest Majs. Timothy and Mary Gair Dec. 19 at 11 a.m. at the Steel Valley Worship and Service Center.
• Steel Valley Worship and Service Center Holiday Toy Distribution Dec. 20-22 from 10 a.m. till 3 p.m.
• Braddock Worship and Service Center toy distribution for needy children Dec. 20-21 from 10 a.m. till 6 p.m.
• McKeesport Worship and Service Center toy distribution for needy children Dec. 21 from 9 a.m. till noon.
• Braddock Worship and Service Center Christmas Eve community dinner Dec. 24 from 6-9 p.m. Join the Braddock Corps for dinner or call to volunteer, 412-271-2407.
• McKeesport Worship and Service Center Christmas dinner Dec. 25 at noon. Call 412-673-6627.
• Braddock Worship and Service Center community fellowship dinner and watchnight service Dec. 31 from 6-9 p.m.