Sites offering free summer meals for students
Students who receive free meals at school during the school year will continue to have access to food over the summer through the 2018 Summer Food Service Program, supported by the United States Department of Agriculture and the state Department of Education.
Meals are available for children 18 years old and younger, regardless of family income, or to people over 18 who are enrolled in school programs for people with disabilities.
Summer meal locations are available at the USDA website. Find locations near you by entering your zip code under the “find sites” tab.
Sites offering summer meals in Westmoreland County include:
• Greensburg/Hempfield Library, 237 S. Pennsylvania Avenue Greensburg, PA 15601
• South Greensburg Recreational Building, 701 Sheridan Avenue Greensburg, PA 15601
• Autumn Brook, 100 Luzerne Street Greensburg, PA 15601
• Charter Oak – Jeannette Campus, S. 2nd Street Jeannette, PA 15644
• Penn Borough Park, Coal and Harrison Avenue Penn, PA 15675
• West Hempfield Townhouses, 501 Lenhart Avenue Irwin, PA 15642
• Huntingdon Village Apartments, 117 Huntingdon Village Drive Hunker, PA 15639
• Holiday Acres, 324 Mitchell Drive Latrobe, PA 15650
• Frick Park, 1 Etze Avenue Mt. Pleasant, PA 15666
• Southmoreland Senior High School, 2351 Route 981 Box A Alverton, PA 15612
Additional information, including hours of operation and directions, are available on the USDA website.
Summer meal sites can also be located by contacting:
• Call: 211
• Call: 1-866-3-HUNGRY or 1-877-8-HAMBRE
• Text: “FOOD” to 877877
• Log on: www.rangeapp.org
Last year, children across Pennsylvania received over five million meals from about 2,600 sites through the Summer Food Service Program, according to a statement from the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Over one million students receive meals from school-based lunch and breakfasts programs every day throughout the school year, according to the state Department of Education website.
Jamie Martines is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org, 724-850-2867 or on Twitter @Jamie_Martines.
Jamie Martines is a Tribune-Review staff reporter. You can contact Jamie at 724-850-2867, email@example.com or via Twitter .