Three voters were briefly turned away from the polls at Brentwood District 6 on Tuesday morning when smoke prompted an evacuation at the Brentwood Borough Building.
Typically, workers would bring paper ballots outside but they were not able to do that because they had to leave so quickly, said Kathy Olson, minority clerk for District 6.
Smoke spread throughout the first floor of the Brownsville Road building, which was cleared for re-entry after about 45 minutes.
The cause of the smoke was a heat exchange pump motor that burned in the basement, said Jack Loeffel, assistant chief of Brentwood Volunteer Fire Co.
No fire alarms were tripped, borough manager George Zboyovsky said. He said officials will discuss the issue at a safety committee meeting later Tuesday.
The building includes administrative offices, code enforcement, the police department and Brentwood EMS.
Stephanie Hacke is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5818 or [email protected].