ShareThis Page
Victim died from violent assault |

Victim died from violent assault

| Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:00 a.m

UNIONTOWN – The night Thomas Elliott died, the Fayette County man was beaten to the point he sustained four skull fractures, 10 stab wounds and seven broken ribs before succumbing to his injuries, according to a forensic pathologist.

Geoffrey Trent Harper, 26, of 132 Nagy St., Washington Township, Fayette County, is on trial on charges of criminal homicide and arson in the March 9 death of Elliott, 55. State police at Belle Vernon allege Harper hit Elliott in the head with a box wrench and stabbed him repeatedly with a knife in the face and back. Harper allegedly then set a fire inside Elliott’s side of a duplex on Brownsville Road, Jefferson Township, before fleeing.

Dr. Leon Rozin, a forensic pathologist for Washington and Butler counties, testified Tuesday that Elliott suffered 30 injuries in the beating and died of severe sharp- and blunt-force trauma to the head, face, neck and chest. Elliott was pronounced dead at a Washington County hospital, where he had been taken for treatment of injuries so severe he lost nearly all of his blood, Rozin said.

“The heart was almost empty,” Rozin said, adding that Elliott’s veins and arteries collapsed from massive blood loss. A paramedic testified earlier the blood loss was so severe he had to insert a medical device into a bone in Elliott’s leg to administer medication.

Rozin, who conducted an autopsy on Elliott, said the victim was struck several times in the head in a matter of a few seconds. He was stabbed seven times in the back and had three stab wounds on his face. Other injuries included facial cuts and bruising to his forehead and back.

Blood and hair found on a box wrench discovered inside a tool box in Harper’s vehicle matched Elliott’s DNA, according to District Attorney Nancy Vernon. Blood found on a knife police recovered while processing Harper at the state police barracks also matched Elliott’s DNA, said Vernon, citing a state police crime lab report.

Police took Harper into custody after he returned to the scene of the fire. State Trooper Louis Serafini, a criminal investigator from the Belle Vernon barracks, said Harper went to the ambulance where Elliott was undergoing treatment and asked paramedics to help the man.

Harper also tried to enter the burning house, according to earlier testimony from firefighter John Kelly Parshall. Parshall said Harper told him he wanted to try to save Elliott, but Parshall stopped him from going into the house.

Trooper William Large, a state police fire investigator, said the fire began on two beds in an upstairs bedroom. Large said an open flame was used to start the fire, but found no lighters, matches or torches at the scene. No accelerants were detected.

Harper’s attorneys, Jeffrey Whiteko and Mary Campbell Spegar, contend the fire might have been started by a dropped cigarette.

Prior to the beating and fire, Harper and Elliott had spent the afternoon drinking together, according to testimony. Rozin said Elliott had a blood-alcohol level of 0.284 percent. Whiteko told jurors on Monday that although Harper’s blood-alcohol content was not tested, Harper had consumed numerous beers during the hours leading up to the fatal altercation.

Vernon and Peter Hook, assistant district attorney, are seeking a first-degree murder conviction. Testimony will resume this morning before Judge Gerald R. Solomon.

Categories: News
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.