Westmoreland H.S. lookahead: Week of April 9-14
Highlights of the week ahead in Westmoreland high school sports:
With the season stuck in park for almost two weeks, many local teams are beginning to get outside again as fields become playable — OK, passable.
• Section 2-6A is expected to be a tight race, and two of the better teams will meet in North Huntingdon as Hempfield visits Norwin.
• Returning WPIAL and PIAA champion Latrobe is at Gateway in a game to watch in Section 3-5A.
• Defending WPIAL Class A champ Jeannette is home to Monessen in Section 2-A.
Two notable games in Section 1-5A have Kiski Area at Greensburg Salem, and Penn-Trafford at Franklin Regional.
• Hempfield is home to Penn Hills. The Spartans have 43 won straight games — 15 in a row at home. Norwin, meanwhile, hosts Fox Chapel in Section 2-6A.
• Mt. Pleasant hosts Knoch in Section 1-4A. The teams were section co-champions last season.
Yough hosts Franklin Regional in a local matchup.
Some of the top female athletes and teams in the county will be recognized at the annual YWCA Sportswomen of the Year awards at Ramada Inn in Greensburg.
Two of the top-ranked teams in WPIAL Class AAA meet as Penn-Trafford travels to Latrobe in Section 3.
Derry travels to Freeport in Section 1-4A.
Franklin Regional heads to Monroeville to face Gateway in Section 1-5A.
Track and field
In Section 1-AAA, Greensburg Salem is at Norwin, and Hempfield visits Penn-Trafford.
• In Section 5-AAA, Franklin Regional hosts Plum, and Section 4-AA meets have Derry at Greensburg Central Catholic, and Monessen at Southmoreland.
Latrobe at Norwin is a top local match.
Section 2-6A has a pair of quality games in Norwin at Plum, and Penn-Trafford at Hempfield.
• Latrobe hosts McKeesport for a night game in Section 3-5A.
Norwin at Hempfield could have a playoff feel in Section 2-6A. Other key games in the area include Kiski Area at Penn-Trafford, Mt. Pleasant at Derry, Greensburg Central Catholic at Shady Side Academy, and Leechburg at Jeannette.
Latrobe at Norwin is an interesting match in Section 2-AAA.
Wednesday marks the start of the regular NCAA signing period for all sports other than football, soccer and men’s water polo. It also starts the regular period for basketball.
Franklin Regional visits Greensburg Salem, and Greensburg Central Catholic is home to Springdale.
Plum at Hempfield could be a pitchers’ paradise in Section 2-6A, and other top games include Latrobe at Laurel Highlands (3-5A), Deer Lakes at Greensburg Salem (1-4A), and Freeport at Yough (1-4A).
• Ligonier Valley plays Greensburg Central Catholic in a night game at Hempfield Park.
A rematch of last year’s WPIAL 4A championship game Yough visiting Belle Vernon.
• Other area games to watch include: Franklin Regional at Plum, Penn-Trafford at Greensburg Salem, and Apollo-Ridge at GCC.
• Hempfield was scheduled to play at Latrobe in another WPIAL finals rematch, but that game has been moved to April 23.
Track and field
The annual Lady Spartan/Wildcat Invitational, a staple in the Westmoreland spring sports scene, is at Latrobe Memorial Stadium.
• Cal (Pa.) will host the California Carnival meet.
Nonsection games to keep an eye on include Hempfield at North Allegheny (6:30 p.m. start), and Valley at Greensburg Salem (noon).
Track and field
The Tri-State Track Coaches Association meet will be at West Mifflin. It is the first big-stage meet of the young season for top athletes.