‘Into the Woods’ to be performed at the Geyer Feb. 26-March 1
Head over to the Geyer Performing Arts Center in Scottdale this weekend for the musical “Into the Woods.” The show will be staged 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $12. For reservations, call 724-887-0887 or visit geyerpac.com.
For those of you who might want to see a show performed by the area’s younger talent, “Into the Woods Jr.” will be preformed 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 7:30 p.m. Sunday. The shorter version will feature actors 18 and younger. Tickets are $10.
• The annual St. Pius X Lenten dinners are being offered Fridays in the social hall next to the church, 222 Summit St., Mt. Pleasant Borough. This Friday’s meal is pasta with Alfredo sauce served with tossed salad, green beans, garlic breadsticks, drink and dessert. There are fried and baked fish dinners available that come with coleslaw, green beans, macaroni and cheese, garlic breadsticks drink and dessert. Children’s meals are available, and there is an ala carte menu. All food can be eaten in or taken out. No phone orders will be accepted. Donations of bottles of wine are appreciated, and anyone who wants to donate dessert can do so by bringing the baked goods to the hall the day of the dinner. The meals are served 4-8 p.m.
• St. Raymond of the Mountains in Donegal will be serving fish and shrimp dinners 4-6:30 p.m. Fridays during Lent. Dinners feature fish or shrimp with sides including macaroni and cheese, haluski, french fries, green beans or coleslaw. Dinners and sides are available for eat in or take out.
• If anyone is visiting any of Mt. Pleasant’s schools that includes a visit to any of the rooms past the main offices, a driver’s license must be produced to gain access.
• Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action is looking for volunteers to help area seniors. The group pairs volunteers with local senior citizens who need a little help in areas that range from rides to and from appointments, light housework or just companionship. For details, call 724-542-4117.
• Mt. Pleasant Ministerium is holding Lenten services each Wednesday during Lent. A light lunch will be provided. A service will take place Good Friday, April 3. Services begin at noon Wednesdays at the Mt. Pleasant Church of God social hall, located behind the church at 936 W. Main St. Each service is conducted by different local pastors. Today’s speaker is the Rev. Doug Show of the Mt. Pleasant Church of God. Next week’s speaker is the Rev. Michael Yoder of the Mennonite Camp.
• Mt. Pleasant Firemans Social Club is serving fish dinners 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 4-7:30 p.m. every Friday though Lent. For details, call 724-547-4830.
• Help with genealogy is offered 6-8 p.m. every second and fourth Thursday of the month in the Mt. Pleasant Library. For details, call the library at 724-547-3850.
• “Aging with Gluten Sensitivity or Intolerance” will be discussed at the Gluten-Free Living Support Group meeting March 10. Deborah Pankopf will lead the discussion and offer advice. The group will meet at 7 p.m. in Herbalicious, 612 W. Main St., Mt. Pleasant. The meeting is free. Light refreshments will be served. Seating is limited. Call 724-542-9745 to register. On April 8, the group will host the annual gluten-free buffet in Nino’s Restaurant, Route 31, Mt. Pleasant.
• There are tickets still available for the annual Longaberger basket bingo/bash hosted every year by Visitation Church. The big bingo will take place 1-4 p.m. Sunday in St. Pius X Social Hall. Doors open at noon. Donation is $22. Tickets include six games of bingo, drawing every half hour, door prizes, appetizer and lunch. There will be special bingos, a Chinese auction and raffles. Get tickets prior to the event by calling 724-547-2432, 724-547-3903 or 724-547-9964.
• The YMCA is offering Silver and Fit for Active Adults 65 and older. Many insurances will cover the program that gives adults a free membership to the Y.
• Don’t forget about recycling in the borough. Recycling will be Monday and Tuesday.
Marilyn Forbes is a Mt. Pleasant resident.