Wildfire crews make progress
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Firefighters searching for bodies in smoldering piles of the nearly 350 homes burned to the ground by the most destructive wildfire in Colorado history found a second body on Friday at a residence where another person was found dead earlier.
As crews on the front lines made slow but steady progress against the flames, police Chief Pete Carey said fewer than 10 people were unaccounted for. The remains of one person were found on Thursday in what was left standing of one home. He confirmed that the remains of a second person who lived there were found yesterday.
The 26-square-mile blaze — one of several wildfires burning out of control across the tinder-dry West — was reported 25 percent contained. Authorities have begun lifting some of the evacuation orders for the more than 30,000 people who fled their homes a few days ago.
After growing explosively earlier in the week, the fire gained no ground overnight, authorities reported. The weather was clear and mostly calm — a welcomed break from the lightning and high wind that drove the flames.
“The focus for today is to hold what we got,” extend the fire lines to contain more of the blaze and bring in more heavy equipment, said Rich Harvey, incident commander for the fire.
Exhausted firefighters fresh off the front lines described the devastation in some neighborhoods and the challenges of battling such a huge blaze.
“It looks like hell. I would imagine it felt like a nuclear bomb went off. There was fire everywhere. Everything had a square shape to it because it was foundations,” said Rich Rexach, who had been working 12-hour days since Tuesday, when flames swept through neighborhoods in Colorado Springs, with a population of 400,000.
“Everything you put water on, it was just swallowing it,” he said.
President Obama toured the stricken areas yesterday, his first visit to the area since the wildfires began raging weeks ago. He issued a disaster declaration for Colorado that frees up federal funds, and thanked firefighters and other emergency workers.
“The country is grateful for your work,” he said. “The country’s got your back.”
As residents waited anxiously to see what was left of their homes, police reported several burglaries in evacuated areas, along with break-ins of vehicles packed with evacuees’ possessions outside hotels.
Community leaders began notifying residents on Thursday that their homes were destroyed. Lists of the heavily damaged streets were posted at a high school, and residents scanned the sheets.
“The blanket that was on my bed when I grew up, a bunch of things my mother had made,” said Rick Spraycar, listing what he lost when his house in the hard-hit Mountain Shadows subdivision burned down. “It’s hard to put it into words.