Woman escapes fast-moving blaze; 2 homeless
A fast-moving fire swept through a Glen Hazel home Friday morning, leaving two people homeless and killing two cats.
Candace Provident said it was just before 11 a.m. when she hit a light switch while cleaning in the upstairs bedroom of her two-story home in the 100 block of Alluvian Street. She smelled smoke and fire quickly spread through the home, burning through a section of the roof. She ran outside to safety, wearing just her bathrobe, bed clothes and a pair of slippers.
“I feel lucky that I got out, but I lost everything I had for Christmas,” she said.
Her boyfriend, Ronald Perkins, was not at home at the time. Two cats they owned died in the fire. Three dogs, including a large pit bull mix named Chaos that Animal Control officers took into custody, emerged unharmed.
There were no reports of injuries.
A man in an adjoining home was evacuated from his home by firefighters. His home sustained some smoke damage, but fire crews were able to keep the two-alarm blaze from spreading to other houses.