Archive

ShareThis Page
Islamic State drive for Kobani blunted | TribLIVE.com
U.S./World

Islamic State drive for Kobani blunted

The Associated Press

More than two months into its assault on Kobani, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria is pouring fighters and resources to try capturing the besieged Syrian Kurdish town.

The border town’s unwavering Kurdish defenders, though, are gaining momentum — a potentially bruising reversal for the extremists who only a few weeks ago seemed unstoppable.

The setback in Kobani is “a statement of (ISIS’s) vulnerability,” said David L. Phillips, an expert on Kurdish issues.

There have been more than 270 airstrikes from a U.S.-led coalition on ISIS targets in and around Kobani. Retired Marine Gen. John Allen, the U.S. envoy for the coalition, pointed out that as ISIS continues to mass around Kobani, it provides more targets.

ISIS “has, in so many ways, impaled itself on Kobani,” he said in an interview Wednesday in Ankara with the Turkish daily Milliyet.

Kobani has been under attack since mid-September, when the Sunni Muslim terrorists seized a series of villages and much of the town. Most of Kobani’s 60,000 residents fled to neighboring Turkey in the first few days of the offensive, amid expectations that it would fall quickly.

A combination of concentrated airstrikes and the arrival in late October of a group of 150 Iraqi peshmerga forces with advanced weapons blunted the edge of the ISIS offensive.

Kobani-based activists said Kurdish fighters have made small but steady advances. Last week, Kurdish fighters known as the YPG seized a hill that overlooks part of the town. On Tuesday, they captured six ISIS-controlled buildings and confiscated a large amount of weapons and ammunition.

“The city (Kobani) … may prove to be the Islamic State’s Waterloo,” Phillips said.


TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.