Man paralyzed after eating slug dies at age 28 | TribLIVE.com
TribLive Logo
| Back | Text Size:
https://archive.triblive.com/news/world/man-paralyzed-after-eating-slug-dies-at-age-28/

Steven Adams
Sam Ballard prior to the slug eating incident in 2010.

An Australian man tried to impress his friends by eating a common garden slug at a birthday party. It was a stunt that would prove fatal.

Sam Ballard from Sydney, Australia, was 19 in 2010 when he ate the creature, reports SkyNews . The slug was infected with a parasite known as rat lungworm.

Ballard fell into a coma for 420 days after contracting a strand of meningitis called eosinophilic meningoencephalitis, according to the report.

Most people recover but Ballard developed a severe brain infection that left him paralyzed from the waist down.

He died Friday at age 28 after years of medical complications.

Rat lungworm is found in rodents which pass its larvae into their feces. Slugs and snails can become infected by ingesting the feces, according to the report.

Copyright ©2019— Trib Total Media, LLC (TribLIVE.com)