District college notebook: Robert Morris’ Brett among those to earn conference player of year
• Robert Morris junior soccer player Neco Brett repeated as Northeast Conference Player of the Year after tying for first in the nation with 15 goals.
• West Virginia senior soccer player Andy Bevin was chosen as Midstate Athletic Conference Player of the Year. He is tied for third in the nation with 13 goals and is fifth all-time at WVU with 79 points.
• Gannon junior women’s soccer player Mani Brueckner (Mars) was named first-team All-PSAC for the third time. Other first-teamers included Cal (Pa.) senior Erin Hogan (Beaver) and Clarion senior goalkeeper Laurel Sausso (Baldwin).
• Penn State Behrend senior soccer player Shelby Lloyd (Beaver) was chosen as AMCC Defensive Player of the Year, and La Roche freshman forward Vanessa Ceravolo (Hampton) was named Newcomer of the Year. First-team all-conference selections included Penn State Behrend’s Alex Bilka (Seneca Valley) and Maddie Monte (Beaver).
• Pitt-Bradford senior volleyball player Taylor McMillen (Redbank Valley) was honored as AMCC Player of the Year. La Roche senior Tori Pernell (North Allegheny) and Penn State Behrend sophomore Alyssa Samarco (Plum) were among the first-team all-conference picks. Also, Seton La Salle graduate Amy O’Keefe, a senior at Franciscan, was a second-teamer, her third all-conference selection.
• Geneva junior Rachel Netherland (Central Valley), Geneva senior Erin Smith (Ambridge), Washington & Jefferson senior Lindsey Bennett (Brentwood) and Westminster senior Kassie Freyermuth (North Allegheny) were among the first-team All-PAC volleyball selections.
NCAA Division II volleyball tournament
• Thursday’s first-round matchups in the Atlantic Regional at Wheeling Jesuit are: Clarion (29-4) vs. Edinboro (21-12); Cal (Pa.) (28-8) vs. Mercyhurst (18-12) and Seton Hill (31-5) vs. Gannon (24-6).
• Point Park (27-14) visits Georgetown (Ky.) (28-10) at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in a first-round tournament matchup.
— Jeff Vella