Outdoor notices: Dec. 16, 2018
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the Reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220
• Hartwood Acres is holding a Winter Solstice Night Hike from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Friday. Join in for an evening of exploration on a 4-mile hike around Hartwood Acres. Email email@example.com or call 412-255-0564.
• Sinnemahoning State Park is offering Coffee with the Birds from 9-10 a.m. Saturday. Participants will join in the Project Feeder Watch bird count, and make simple bird feeders while learning about the variety of bird seeds available and the birds that different seeds attract. Refreshments will be provided. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 814-647-8401.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center is hosting its Winter Wonder Walk from 10-11:30 a.m. on Dec. 27. Participants are welcome to come and enjoy some family-friendly outdoors time along the trails at Jennings. Email email@example.com or call 724-794-6011.
• Moraine State Park is offering a First Day Hike from 1-4 p.m. on Jan. 1. Participants will meet at the bike rental parking lot on the North Shore before heading out for a hike. The hike will last 1 to 5 miles, with multiple opportunities for hikers to turn back during the trek. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-368-8811.
• Venture Outdoors is offering Hot Cocoa Snowshoeing from 1-3 p.m. on Jan. 5 at Aspinwall Riverfront Park This outing will be family-friendly and will begin with the basics of snowshoeing before participants hit the trails. Afterwards, participants will gather for a warm cup of hot cocoa. Cost will be $12 for members and $15 for non-members. Email email@example.com or call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors is holding an Owl Prowl from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Jan. 10 at Riverview Park. Join in for an evening hike while searching for Great Horned Owls and Barred Owls in the park. After the hike, hot chocolate will be provided to participants. Cost will be $8 for members and $12 for non-members. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding its Dead of Winter Outing II at 8 a.m. on Jan. 19 at Frick Park. Meet outing leader Mike Fialkovich at the Frick Park Environmental Center lot before heading out to search for the park’s winter resident birds. It is advised participants monitor the club’s facebook page for cancellation due to inclement weather. Call 412-731-3581 with questions.
Kevin Lohman is a freelance writer.