Outdoor notices: Nov. 30, 2014
• The three-way tie for first place in the Pittsburgh and Suburban Rifle League is now down to two.
Frazier-Simplex (5-1) beat a short-handed Allegheny (1-5), 1482-876, to retain its share of the top spot. Dormont-Mt. Lebanon (5-1), meanwhile, beat the other team that had been tied at the top, Irwin Post 228 (4-2), by a score of 1484-1466.
Green Valley (2-4) beat a short-handed Murrysville (1-5), 1472-289.
Amy Smith of Dormont-Mt. Lebanon fired second perfect 300 in two weeks — and her third in six weeks of the season — to post the week’s top score. Cal Roberts of Green Valley was high senior with a 297, and Brandon Meier of Irwin Post 228 and Sylvia Dreistadt of Frazier-Simplex were high juniors with matching 296s.
Cable restraint classes
Note: All successful cable restraint classes require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Indian Creek Valley Sportsmen’s Association, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 21. Class limit 30.
• Ken Sink Chapter of Trout Unlimited will offer an eight-week fly tying class starting Jan. 3 at Trinity United Methodist Church, 398 Church St., Indiana. Open to those ages 11 and older, it will meet from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturdays. It is meant for those new to the hobby or with limited skills. Participants will learn basic fly tying techniques and produce flies commonly used on Western Pennsylvania waters. The program is free to those ages 11-16; those older pay $30. Instructional and tying materials will be provided, but participants must bring their own tools, including thread. Information and registration packets are available at The Indiana Angler, 218 Grandview Ave., Indiana. That shop will offer a discount on fly tying tools and materials for class participants. Space for the class is limited and payment is due at registration. Call 724-463-2011 for information.
• World-class fly tier Kieran Frye and two of his friends, George Mizikar and John Albright, will give a tying presentation at the Dec. 8 meeting of the Tri-County Trout Club. It will be held in Fisher Hall at Burrell Lake Park. Doors open at 7 p.m. and admission is free for members and children younger than 12; all other pay $3. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
• The Pittsburgh Chapter of Safari Club International will hold its 2015 “outfitters, exhibitors and awards evening” on Jan. 24 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel at Pittsburgh International Airport, at 1111 Airport Blvd. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., with dinner at 6:30 p.m. and awards at 7:30 p.m. Members can enter trophies for judging, and all can meet with and talk to outfitters from around the world offering hunts. Cost is $50 per person and reservations are required by Jan. 9 at safariclubpittsburgh.org.
Shoots on tap
• Shaner Sportsmen’s Club, 146 Stewart Lane, Irwin, has trap practice from 5-8 p.m. Fridays. It is open to the public. Call 724-872-8431 or the clubhouse at 724-446-1313.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen’s Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club has CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for children ages 12-16 and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Irwin Sportsmen’s Association has action pistol shoots at 4 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month; cost is $3 for three rounds. There are pistol pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays for $3, and NRA silhouette shoots starting at 9:30 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. Cost is $4 for practice rounds and $7 to compete. A ladies pistol league that includes basic and self defense instruction shoots at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. Cost is $5. All events are open to the public. Visit irwinsportsmen.com or call John Reed at 724-864-2488.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen’s Association has trap practice at 7 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is has an indoor archery league with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club’s indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman’s Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, has trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. Contact: call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club has trap shooting at 5 p.m. Mondays. The public is welcome.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman’s Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public starting at 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-652-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club has NSCA registered shoots Sundays with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen’s Club in Kittanning has open trap nights at 6 p.m. Fridays. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events.
• Sutersville Sportsmen’s Club has trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen’s Club has trap and skeet practice from 5-8 p.m. Tuesdays. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association has big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen’s Club in Yatesboro has trap practice at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla’s trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift has an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also has an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen’s Club has outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays. There’s a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen’s Association’s youth trap league shoots are 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 on Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen’s Association has five-stand sporting clays shoots from 4 p.m. until dark Wednesdays at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen’s Association has trap shoots 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen’s Club in Murrysville has five-stand shoots 4-9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30-9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen’s Club has 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6. Both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen’s Association has trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen’s Club has skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5 -10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice are 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.