Outdoor notices: Sept. 16, 2018
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the Reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220
• Forbes State Forest is leading a hike at Mt. Davis at 6 p.m. Friday. Join a forest naturalist for this trek up the mountain. Email [email protected] or call 724-259-2201.
• Clear Creek State Forest is hosting a program concerning Chronic Wasting Disease from 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday at Jefferson County Fairgrounds. The program will be free,and will offer an expert-led talk about Chronic Wasting Disease, how fast it spreads, what animals it may affect, and ways to combat the ailment. Contact 814-226-1901.
• Venture Outdoors is offering a Pirates Stadium Tour For Families from 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday. Join in for a free special family-oriented walking tour of PNC Park. The tour will be wheelchair and stroller accessible. However, participants should contact PNC Park for special accommodations. Email [email protected] or call 412-255-0564.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding an outing at 8 a.m. Sunday in the Pymatuning area. Participants will meet Bob VanNewkirk at the former site of the Pymatuning Wildlife Learning Center at 12590 Hartstown Road, Linesville. Email VanNewkirk at [email protected] or call 412-366-1694.
• Ohiopyle State Park is offering a River Otter Field Day from 9 a.m.-noon on Sept. 30. Join park naturalists and bike up the bike trail to collect samples to investigate the activities of local river otters. Pre-registration is required. Email [email protected] or call 724-329-0986.
• Keystone State Park is offering Yoga On The Beach from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Oct. 1. Participants will meet at the grass area in front of the sand beach. Bring your own bug spray, yoga mat and beach towel. To register, email [email protected]
• Pymatuning State Park is holding its Annual Pymatuning Spooktackular Event from 4-9 p.m. on Oct. 5. The annual event will be run by park volunteers in order to raise money for playground equipment for the park. The event will be free but some activities will require a small fee. Email [email protected] or call 724-932-3142.
Kevin Lohman is a freelance writer.