Outdoors notices for Nov. 26, 2018
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an Owl Prowl and Growler event from 7-10 p.m. Friday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Start the program by learning about local owls while searching for them on the trails. Then, head out to a local brewery. This event is for ages 21 and over. The cost is $6 for members and $10 for nonmembers. Participants will be responsible for cost of food and drinks. Register online at aswp.org/events/8299
• Sinnemahoning State Park is hosting a Natural Ornaments event from 1-3 p.m. Saturday. Learn how to create homemade ornaments using local natural materials. Materials and assistance will be provided. Program is free and will be open to all ages. Email [email protected] or call 814-647-8401.
• Deer Lakes Park is offering a Meteor Shower Hike from 7-9 p.m. Dec. 13. Participants will embark on a 3-4 mile hike during the peak of the Geminids meteor shower. Email [email protected] or call 412-255-0564.
• McConnells Mill State Park is offering a Winter Tree ID event from 10 a.m.-noon Dec. 15. Participants are welcome enjoy nature by learning the basics of tree identification. Dress for the weather and bring a drink or snack. This event will be family friendly, and participants will meet at Kildoo Pavilion. Email [email protected] or call 724-368-8811.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center is holding a Christmas is for the Birds event from 9-11 a.m. Dec. 15. Celebrate the 119th annual Christmas Bird Count at Jennings by sipping coffee and counting the birds at the feeders. The information collected will help scientists better understand bird migration and population trends. Email [email protected] or call 724-794-6011.
• Venture Outdoors is organizing a Candy Cane Walk from 1-3 p.m. Dec. 15 at South Park. This family friendly event will allow participants to search along the trail for hidden candy canes. Hot chocolate will be served afterwards. Price is $6 for members and $10 for nonmembers. Email [email protected] or call 412-255-0564.
• Hartwood Acres is holding a Winter Solstice Night Hike from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Dec. 21. Join for an evening of exploration on a 4-mile hike around Hartwood Acres. Email [email protected] or call 412-255-0564.
Kevin Lohman is a freelance writer.