Outdoors notices: Nov. 10, 2014
• Venture Outdoors will lead a free outdoor skills session and hike from 1-4 p.m. Nov. 22 at Hartwood Acres in Allegheny County. Participants will learn to build a campfire, tie a bowline knot and more. The first 90 minutes of the program will be a classroom session; the following 90 minutes the hike. Call 41-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will host a Geminid meteor hike at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 13 at Succop Nature Park in Butler County. Cost $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Christmas Open House at McConnells Mill State Park in Lawrence County will hold a free Christmas open house from 1-3 p.m. Saturday. There will be homemade Christmas ornaments from natural materials, light refreshments and opportunities to talk with park staff. Park at Kildoo Picnic Area and walk to the gristmill. Those who can’t walk can call the park office at 724-368-8811.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a preholiday sale at 5 p.m. Nov. 22 at the nature store at its Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve, 614 Dorseyville Road, Fox Chapel, in Allegheny County. Light refreshments will be served, and members and those who join that evening will receive 20 percent off all items purchased, as well as a copy of the Western Pennsylvania birding trail guide. Call 412-963-6100.
• Westminster College in Lawrence County will host a “student symposium on the environment” from 5:30-9 p.m. Dec. 4 at the school’s McKelvey Campus Center. Free and open to the public, it gives students from a number of area colleges and universities a chance to present their research, projects and creative works on the environment. Contact Helen Boylan at 724-946-6293 or email@example.com for information.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead a waterfowl tour of a number of area lakes, including Loyalhanna, Keystone and Derry, starting at 9 a.m. Saturday. Meet at the Beaver Run Reservoir parking lot on Route 380. Call Ken Byerly at 724-468-8594.