Outdoors notices: Nov. 3, 2014
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a full moon hike starting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Preregister by calling 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a s’mores hike from 1-3 p.m. Saturday in Pittsburgh’s Riverpark Park. This will be an easy hike followed by making s’mores for all. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a free outdoor skills session and hike from 1-4 p.m. Nov. 22 at Hartwood Acres in Allegheny County. Participants will learn to build a campfire, tie a bowline knot and more. The first 90 minutes of the program will be a classroom session; the following 90 minutes the hike. Call 412-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a Geminid meteor hike at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 13 at Succop Nature Park in Butler County. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a preholiday sale at 5 p.m. Nov. 22 at the nature store at its Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve at 614 Dorseyville Road, Fox Chapel, in Allegheny County. Light refreshments will be served, and members and those who join that evening will receive 20 percent off all items purchased, as well as a copy of the Western Pennsylvania birding trail guide. Call 412-963-6100.
• Westminster College in Lawrence County will have a Student Symposium on the Environment from 5:30-9 p.m. Dec. 4 at the school’s McKelvey Campus Center. Free and open to the public, it gives students from a number of area colleges and universities a chance to present their research, projects and creative works on the environment. Contact Helen Boylan at 724-946-6293 or email@example.com for information.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead a waterfowl tour of a number of area lakes, including Loyalhanna, Keystone and Derry, starting at 9 a.m. Nov. 15. Meet at the Beaver Run Reservoir parking lot on Route 380. Call Ken Byerly at 724-468-8594.