Outdoors notices: Sept. 11, 2016
HUNTER SAFETY COURSES
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Collier Sportsmen’s Association, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Class limit 60.
• Ambridge Sportsman Club, Beaver County, 6-9:30 p.m. Monday-Tuesday. Class limit 50.
• North Park Rose Barn, Allegheny County, 6-9 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday. Class limit 45.
• Butler City Hunting & Fishing Club, Butler County, 8:45 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday.
• Concord United Methodist Church, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 75.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Izaak Walton Park, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 55.
• Logan’s Ferry Sportsmen’s Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• McKeesport Sportsmen’s Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Parks Township Sportsman’s Club, Armstrong County, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 30.
• Trafford Sportsmen, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Burrell Rod and Gun Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 18. Class limit 45.
• Apollo Spring Church Sportsmen’s Club Inc., Armstrong County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 50.
• Centerville American Legion Post 705, Washington County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 60.
• Haydentown Volunteer Fire Department, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 50.
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen, Washington County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 55.
• Middle Taylor Community Center, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 25.
• Rostraver’s Sportsmen’s, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 35.
• Southside Sportsmen Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 40.
• Star Junction, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 40.
• The Log Church, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 100.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Class limit 50.
• Library Sportsmen’s Association, Washington County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 25. Class limit 60.
• The Rembrandt Club, Cambria County, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 25. Class limit 75.
• Moraine Sportsman’s Club, Butler County, 6-9:30 p.m. Sept. 27-28.
• Laughlintown Community Center, Westmoreland County, 6-9 p.m. Sept. 28-29. Class limit 35.
• Baldwin Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1, Allegheny County, 9-3:30 p.m. Oct. 1. Class limit 80.
• Murrysville Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Oct. 1. Class limit 55.
• Murrysville Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Oct. 2. Class limit 55.
• Burgettstown Youth Center, Washington County, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Oct. 4. Class limit 44.
• Logan’s Ferry Sportsmen’s Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Oct. 8. Class limit 50.
â¢ Shaner Sportsmen’s Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 9. Class limit 45.
• Paris Sportsmen’s Club, Washington County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 15. Class limit 65.
• Taylorstown Volunteer Fire Department, Washington County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 15. Class limit 200.
• Kittanning Township Volunteer Fire Hall, Armstrong County, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Oct. 16. Class limit 100.
• Midland Sportsmen’s Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 22. Class limit 50.
• Bear Rocks Sportsmen’s, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Oct. 29. Class limit 75.
• Murrysville Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Oct. 30. Class limit 55.
SUCCESSFUL BOWHUNTER CLASSES
Note: All successful bowhunter classes require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
CABLE RESTRAINT CLASSES
Note: All successful cable restraint classes require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen’s Club, Washington County, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Sept. 18. Class limit 30.
â¢ Trafford Sportsmen’s Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-noon Sept. 25. Class limit 40.
• Tri-County Trout Club will resume monthly meetings at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. The guest speaker will be John Stanton, who will talk about Steelhead Basics. Stanton is a Pennsylvania registered guide, and he teaches fly tying classes and holds fly fishing programs at International Angler fly shop. TCTC meetings are at Burrell Lake Park in Fisher Hall. The doors open at 7 p.m. Non TCTC members are encouraged to attend for a $3 fee. Visit alcosan.org to register.
• Alcosan will have its 14th annual open house, the region’s largest watershed and environmental festival, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. There will be exhibits and tours of the 59-acre wastewater treatment plant.
• Westmoreland County Sportsmen’s League will have its meeting Sept. 24 at Delmont Fire Hall. There will be a cash bar starting at 6 p.m. with dinner to follow at 7 p.m. The featured speaker is Wayne Laroche, director of the bureau of wildlife management for the Pennsylvania Game Commission. He will discuss the agency’s plans for controlling chronic wasting disease. Tickets are $20 per person and include entry into a cash prize drawing, with one $100 and two $50 prizes to be awarded. Tickets are available by calling Doug at 724-523-4824 or Nick at 412-823-0438. Payment is due by Sept. 19.
• The Indiana County Friends of the National Rifle Association will have its annual fundraising banquet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at Chestnut Ridge Conference Center, 132 Pine Ridge Road, Blairsville. Individual tickets are $50 and sponsor packages are available. For information, contact Janeen Moffa at 724-664-7662 or [email protected].
• The Mon Valley Friends of the National Rifle Association will have its annual fundraising banquet at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at Valley Inn Social Hall on Snyder Avenue in Monongahela. Individual tickets are $40, and sponsor packages are available. For information, contact Gale Eisiminger at 724-258-7914 or [email protected].
SHOOTS ON TAP
• Trafford Sportsmen’s Club will have a 3D archery shoot Sunday. Registration is from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $8 per shooter. Children 12 and younger shoot for free. For information, call 412-372-3820 or visit traffordsportsmen.org.
• Seven Springs Mountain Resort will host a Go Red for Women sporting clays shoot Monday. Teams for four are welcome for a 100 target event, which starts with registration and lunch at 11:30 a.m. The main event shoot starts at 1 p.m. Awards, prizes, hors d’oeuvres and cash bar follow at 3:30. Cost is $150 per shooter or $500 for a foursome. Shotguns will be available; ammo is not included. Proceeds benefit the American Heart Association. Visit goredforwomen.org or call 412-208-3568 to register.
• A trap and pistol shoot hosted by the Keystone Chapter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America will be Sept. 23-25 at the Clairton Sportsmen’s Club, 412 Coal Valley Road, Clairton, PA 15025, for ambulatory and disabled shooters alike. Awards will be made in both wheelchair-user and ambulatory categories for 100 singles, 100 handicap and 50-pair doubles. There also will be a pistol shoot: a 50-round competition at 15 and 25 yards. All targets and ammunition are included in the entry fees of $175 for the 300-round trap competition and $75 for the pistol competition. Included in the fees are lunches all three days, a full breakfast Sept. 24 and 25, and a picnic dinner Sept. 23. Prizes also will be awarded. For detailed registration forms, call 412-781-2474. Registration deadline is Sept. 15.
• Irwin Sportsmen’s Association is holding an open house from 12-5 p.m. Sept. 25. A number of free activities will be offered, including trap shooting, bowling pin pistol shooting, rifle and shotgun shooting, face painting, tomahawk throwing and more. All firearms and ammunition will be provided. A meal of hot dogs, chips, drinks and homemade entrees and desserts will be provided, too. All those who sign up as a member on that day get a $20 discount, knowing the fee down to $40. The club is located at 995 Oakside Dr., Irwin.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen’s Club is open at 6:30 p.m. Friday nights, with trap shooting at 7 p.m. Food and beverages are available for purchase. Visit esc15360.com.
• California Hill Gun Club holds sporting clays and five-stand shoots Sundays from 9 a.m.-noon. All are open to the public. Call 724-938-3480.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association has big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shaner Sportsmen’s Club, 146 Stewart Lane, Irwin, has trap practice from 5-8 p.m. Fridays. It is open to the public. Call 724-872-8431 or the clubhouse at 724-446-1313.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen’s Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club has CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for children ages 12-16 and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen’s Association has trap practice at 7 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is has an indoor archery league with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club’s indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman’s Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, has trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. Contact: call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club has trap shooting at 5 p.m. Mondays. The public is welcome.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman’s Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public starting at 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-652-1075.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen’s Club in Kittanning has open trap nights at 6 p.m. Fridays. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events.
• Sutersville Sportsmen’s Club has trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen’s Club has trap and skeet practice from 5-8 p.m. Tuesdays. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen’s Club in Yatesboro has trap practice at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla’s trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift has an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also has an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen’s Club has outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30 a.m.; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays. There’s a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen’s Association’s youth trap league shoots are 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 on Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen’s Association has five-stand sporting clays shoots from 4 p.m. until dark Wednesdays at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen’s Association has trap shoots 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen’s Club has 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6. Both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen’s Association has trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen’s Club has skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice are 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.